help picky me pick some new pickups!

killthehippies45

• Members

okay... so i recently bought an old guitar back. for some reason, the previous owner replaced the stock SDs with some crappy no name pickups (no joke, it sounds like a nasally donkey coughing in a metal trash can). long story short, i found money and am looking into pickups. i've narrowed my search down to either the DiMarzio Tone Zone or the Super Distortion or a SD Invader for the bridge. i'm only semi-interested in the Invader because i have been for the past seven or so years.

i picked the Tone Zone because i really like the tone that Noodles from the Offspring gets

i picked the Super Distortion because it seemed like a safe bet

any input?

• Members

If it is a mahogany guitar I would go with the super distortion, if it is a brighter guitar made from say alder, ash or even basswood (slightly warmer), I would use the tone zone. Tone zones can be too dark in say a les paul but sound great in the bridge of a strat like guitar. Super distortions do well with mahogany. I have not tried the invader. This is my opinion of course.

EDIT: I just looked up noodles guitar and it has a basswood body and maple neck which would suit the Tone Zone well. If you are wanting that sound, consider what your guitar is made from and adjust accordingly.

• Members

I'd go for the Tone Zone. It's in the same general ballpark as the Super Distortion, but is a bit more aggressive and more modern sounding. Some find it muddy, I think it's awesome. I had one for a number of years and recently when putting together a kinda super strat-ish project, I went with an Air Norton which is very similar with a bit less output.

Biggest drawback is the Tone Zone really lacks that 'nasally donkey coughing in a metal trash can' sound I sometimes like to dial in. :lol:

Archived