Wilkinson Trem Arm Question

BASSDAD

• Members

I recently got a Michael Kelly Hourglass Limited off of craigslist. It was missing the pop-in trem arm. I ordered the replacement trem arm from allparts.

My question is: Are there different sizes?

This thing feels like it's the exact same diameter as the hole. I feel like I'm going to break something if I press any harder and it does not even satrt to go in.

Near as I can tell the bridge is either the WVPC or the WVP6CR.

Any ideas?

• Members

Is there an adjustment screw on yours? Maybe you can back it off. Just a guess mang.

Not that I'm aware of but I know nothing about the Wilkinson or pop in arms. I was told there were 2 kinds of Wilkis threadeded and pop in. Where would I look for an adjustment screw? ( Although it's the hole itself so I don't think an adjsut ment is possible).

Thanks for the reply

• Members

it has an adjustment screw. push the trem arm down so that the back of the block is exposed and you should see it. you will need an allen wrench to adjust it.

I can't get the trem arm into the hole. Unless you mean use the trem arm as a tool to push the block down. Do I need to do this witht he strings off?

And thanks!

• Members

Bump for more help...

I was able to loosen the allen screw. It did not help. I ended up backing the screw all the way out. The bar just won't go in. it seems a tight fit like you all have said but I can't get it to pop in. Are there different size pop in arms for these or do I just use a hammer??? :confused:

Do I need to lay the guitar on a hard table and push down with both hands? That is about all I have not tried.

• Members

Here is a better idea and the specs.

Looks alot like this one:

I really meant pics of your specific guitar and trem...Anyway, are you sure you got the correct trem arm for the unit in your Michael Kelly?

• Members

I can't get the trem arm into the hole. Unless you mean use the trem arm as a tool to push the block down. Do I need to do this witht he strings off?

And thanks!

Loosen strings & springs, put trem unit in the EVH divebomb position, look for small Allen set screw just under trem plate, adjust to suit.

I have one set up where it's difficult to push in. Not impossible though.

• Members

Loosen strings & springs, put trem unit in the EVH divebomb position, look for small Allen set screw just under trem plate, adjust to suit.

I have one set up where it's difficult to push in. Not impossible though.

Thanks Doc. If you see above though I already tried (and completely removed) the allen screw. It made no difference. The fit is very tight and it just seems like too much pressure. If I slide the bar over the hole it will 'set" into the hole but it won't budge into the hole at all.Ergo the set screw would not have any bearing on this at this point. I can't get the bar far enough into the hole where that would cause any issue. I'm guessing the set screw is there to help keep it in place or adjust where is hangs afterwards. But not even neat where it would become a factor even if screwed in all the way.

'

I will try some pics.

For th eother who have tried thanks. The stock photos are exactly what I have. I need to sign up for another photobucket or something. I don't think I can post direct from my camera but will try again.

• Members
Thanks Doc. If you see above though I alreay tried (and completely removed) the allen screw. It made no difference. The fit is very tight and it just seems like too much pressure. If I slide the bar over the hole it will 'set" into the hole but it won't bidge intot he hole at all.Ergo the set screw would not have anybearing on this at this point. I can;t get the bar far enough intot he hole where that would cause any issue. I'm guessing the set screw is there to help keep it in place or adjust where is hangs afterwards. But not even neat where it would become a factor even if screwed in all the way.

'

I will try some pics.

For th eother who have tried thanks. The stock photos are exactly what I have. I need to sign up for another photobucket or something. I don't think I can post direct from my camera but will try again.

Sounds like the trem arm is just too large to fit into the arm hole. Perhaps they do have different sizes. :idk:

• Members

There is not a busted arm in there ?

Fortunately no. I rattle the allen wrench around in the hole to make sure. The guys at the manufacturer having been trying to help. Guy told me today that at some point tooling or plant changes may have resulted in some difference between peices. Oh well onto trying different brands or figurung out which one I have. Ibelieve fromt he looks it's a WVPC or a WVP6. Seems to be only one size on allparts.

• Members

Are those shims or washers under the two outer bridge screws or plugs from a two point trem...or am I seeing things? Was a 2 point added and removed?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=343101&d=1330126255

Perhaps they swapped blocks? as it doesn't look like the bridge-plate hole lines up with the block hole? Is that the problem..the arm goes into the top but not the block?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=343102&d=1330126309

Hard to tell...I've seen clearer pics of bigfoot. :)

Archived