HELP: A Few Questions About "Lindy Fralin Blues Special" Pickup

Jimmy25

• Members

I was taking a closer look at the demo of "Seymour Duncan Everything Axe" set. After listening for a while, I agree if I switch them into my strat, my strat won't sound any better and won't sound anything like a strat anymore, and that would be pointless and defeat the purpose of buying a strat in the first place.

After doing more research on other different brands of pickup, I came across Lindy Fralin's pickup. And was thinking of the "Split-Blade Blues Output" set, then a friend of mine who's a guitarist as well (he plays blues) suggested that no matter what hum-bucking pickup will get you no hum but it's just going to suck the sound of a strat. And so he recommended the "Lindy Fralin Blues Special" set. And I'm probably going with his suggestion. My question is:

1) Personally I still don't like the buzzing noise, but I'm going with single coil pickup so I don't lose the sound of a strat. However, I heard there's sth like "shielding" or sth... that could decrease the buzzing of a normal single-coil pickup by a lot? In other words, is there some ways to make a single-coil pickup buzz less?

2) Anyone has experience with "Lindy Fralin Blues Special"? How does it compare to "Fender Texas Special"? I'm looking for More dynamic, more punchy, more output, fatter and fuller solid tone than my current "Fender 57 Reissue Stratocaster Made In Japan Since 1993" 's original pickup. For style of music from playing clean blues, funk, jazz, to rock.

3) I saw on Lindy Fralin's official website, there's an option to add in Base plate and Blender Pot, I don't quite understand what's that for?

4) My guitarist friend said that if I buy the Lindy Fralin blues special, the middle pickup is reverse wound. So no matter how bad the amp is, in 2 & 4 position there won't be a hum. The reverse wound will act like a humbucker pickup, and still sound like a strat? I don't quite understand what's a "reverse wound"...?

BTW. Some of you probably know from my previous thread that I use a Roland Micro Cube Amp at home which is just for practicing and traveling, and I understand with a cube amp I won't be able to tell the difference after changing the pickup. BUT, I do jam with my band mates almost everyday at school where there is Marshall tube amp. So, it does make a difference if I change my pickup.

• Members

Based on what I think you want, the Blues Special would be a fine choice. It has more output and is less shrill than the one in your Strat, but it still has a very nice bite to it and unlike most vintage style pickups it doesn't drive the G string directly through your skull. It won't be any quieter, except in those middle positions, where the pair will indeed act like a humbucker. It'll still sound like a Strat. Quality is about as high as you can possibly make a spool of wire with six magnets in it.

• Members

4) My guitarist friend said that if I buy the Lindy Fralin blues special, the middle pickup is reverse wound. So no matter how bad the amp is, in 2 & 4 position there won't be a hum. The reverse wound will act like a humbucker pickup, and still sound like a strat? I don't quite understand what's a "reverse wound"...?

Reverse wound is the opposite direction of the other pickups and the reason it acts liek a humbucker is because it does exactly what a humbucker does. This may seem simple but it is sso simple that many people don't see it - visualize two single coils pressed right up against each other. They look like a humbucker don't they?

Lindy Fralin is one of the absolute best when it comes to pickups. I feel he has about 2 or 3 commonly known peers and possibly a few unknown peers...then a bunch just below him (and them) and then many, many way below them.

• Members

...then a friend of mine who's a guitarist as well (he plays blues) suggested that no matter what hum-bucking pickup will get you no hum but it's just going to suck the sound of a strat.

Not true. There are some great noiseless single coils out there that sound like single coils. Fralin, DiMarzio and Kinman, to name just a few.

• Members

Not true. There are some great noiseless single coils out there that sound like single coils. Fralin, DiMarzio and Kinman, to name just a few.

I disagree with this and agree with your friend.

Fralin blues in my tele are the best pickups I have ever had. I know, it was a tele but somewhat similar. You might want to consider getting them overwound a bit if you get them. I am pretty sure that is an option.

PS The base plate goes under the bridge usually and gives you more bass.

• Members

I have the split blades in a squier classic vibe strat. It is one of the best sounding strats I have ever heard. I have a mexi with blues specials blender pot and bass plate and that is a stellar sounding guitar also. You can not go wrong with the blues specials but if your looking for a dead quiet strat thats has a huge sound to it and is very articulate go with the blades. They take nothing away a strat should sound and makes it even better.

• Members

1) Personally I still don't like the buzzing noise, but I'm going with single coil pickup so I don't lose the sound of a strat.

2) Anyone has experience with "Lindy Fralin Blues Special"?

3) Base plate

I won't be able to tell the difference after changing the pickup.

1) The only still single-like noiseless pu I tried and liked was the Fender SCN. However the 'halo' is the beauty of the single-coils, so I learned to accept it. :)

2) Used to have the Vintage Hot set and heard very good things about the Blues Special. Would buy the set without any hesitation.

3) essential, see the others' comments. I liked it, makes the bridge pu fuller, more Tele-like, but not too much.

You won't really be able to tell the difference right now, but maybe one day you'll buy a nice tube amp and would enjoy the difference. :)

• Members

The base plate and the blend pot bring the awesome :thu:

One thing you should try to do before you look into switching pickups is learn how to EQ your amp so it's not annoyingly shrill. Also, play with the height of your pickups to attain your desired tone.

A pickup swap is not a magic elixir; your guitar will still sound like your guitar.

Also, try a string set with a wound 3rd. D'Addario EXL110w is a good place to start. You'd be surprised how much of that shrill G string is down to a too-thick plain string.

Archived