Mark L

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MarkydeSad wrote:

Anyway, back on topic

So far I've recorded the drums, two acoustic guitars and the bass

I'm wondering how to remove the closed hi-hat I used on the drum track as a metronome

Look, I don't know who you think you are, but you don't decide the topic here!!!!  :D

I don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully it's just a question of turning the drum machine off, muting the track, or some such thing.  Glad to hear that it's going alright in general, though!!!!

• Members

I don't mean to turn the direction of this thread again but I think you make some valid points Mr. Rivers concerning manuals. I just upgraded to DP8 two weeks ago, I love it! This has been the most stable and comfortable update yet but as you mentioned, there are tools in DP8 that I'm still trying to figure out and I've a DP user since Ver2.7! I don't think one daws for dummies book will cover all the bases but it should cover the basics.

From my POV the biggest issue for a company like MOTU is their reluctance to rewrite their manual. Since v2.7, DPs manual has been pretty much the same boring script but their Product rocks! Why not rewrite the darn manual in an exciting voice sharing the wonderful tools it has to offer? There is hardly any mention of their wonderful plugs and I mena that sincerely. Ever version has better sounding plugs and workflow improvements but the manual is still a dull bible sized read!

Anyway... Sorry for the tangent. Mark, if it makes you feel any better, I'm still confused at times with my Daw but its a life-long process of learning, it'll keep you sharp just stay with it!

• Members

Ernest Buckley wrote:

Anyway... Sorry for the tangent. Mark, if it makes you feel any better, I'm still confused at times with my Daw but its a life-long process of learning, it'll keep you sharp just stay with it!

Puh.  I've been using a DAW for a long time, and I still sometimes find stuff confusing.  Like suddenly getting weird error messages that appear, never to occur again, the occasional odd routing issue, where you think, "I haven't touched anything...NOW what's happening?" only to reboot the computer and have it go away, iLok issues, or other weird stuff.  

Like I mentioned in the previous post, maybe there's a good book on Studio One that can help you.  I have found books on Pro Tools invaluable in figuring out stuff.

• Members

There is a manual for Studio One, Ken. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though ;)

I've also been playing around with the 'F' keys. F1 brings up the manual. Also 'Enter' plays the song, '0' on the numeric keypad stops it, and '*' is like pressing record. I'm a genius!!

Re-recorded the bass for my new song tonight and also some keyboards for the pre-choruses. It's all coming together...

• CMS Author

Bill Edstrom has done some Studio One training videos for Groove 3. I haven't seen any of them, but I know Bill and he's a good explainer. You can buy (download) a 6 hour video for $35, or if you just want to check them out, $15 ("All Access") gets you a month of on-line streaming of any of their videos, as much as your eyeballs can stand.

Bill should be writing manuals for PreSonus, too, but they won't hire him either. ;)

• Members

Yeah... I've been using the same (brand) DAW for about 17 years and I have to go to the help system every now and then, particularly for aspects I seldom or never used before.

Speaking of getting a host-based DAW going in late 1996 -- now that was tweaky. Twitchy, bug-eyed tweaky.

I felt like I developed a personal relationship with Barry from Frontier as I sorted through the various issues of getting my ADATs/BRC in/out through my old Frontier ADAT card. Darndest thing was that none of the issues were with his product.  

But it was like all the stars and planets had to be lined up, just so, and if they weren't, you had to figure out how to get them to, standing down here on the ground. Or so it seemed. A couple years later and it was so easy, EDM producers could do it!      wink.gif  

• Members

MarkydeSad wrote:

There
is
a manual for Studio One, Ken. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though
;)

I know there's a manual, Mark.  I'm talking about OTHER books written to help you along.  As I mentioned, for example, I've owned 2-3 of these for Pro Tools, and they're considerably better written and more helpful than the manual that was provided.

Stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Tools-Studio-One-Production/dp/1458402266

This is not an endorsement of this book, as I don't know anything about it.  I'm just suggesting that you look for stuff like this to aid you.

Archived