GFS NYII vs. P90 vs. Filtertrons in Gretsch Jet?

Beyer160

• Members

So I've got an old model Gretsch Electromatic Jet (the one with minibuckers, not the new one with Filtertrons). It's a great player, but after mucking with pole pieces and pickup height for about a year I've finally had it. The neck pickup isn't bad, but it's so low output (5.4K) that I don't think I can find a bridge pickup to match it. The stock bridge pickup sounds thin and sterile, and the output levels are mismatched (the bridge is 7.2K, a nice 33% overwind).

The GFS NYIIs are a pretty popular upgrade for these, but I have no idea what they sound like. I could fit a set of P90s or real Gretsch Filtertrons in it, too. I dig P90s, but I'd like to try something different in this one. I go for '70s rock-ish tones (low-medium overdrive, no Police-y cleans or brootalz), so I need something that handles dirt.

Has anyone compared the NYIIs to P90s? Does anyone have feedback as to how Filtertrons do as "rock" pickups? Any other Electromatic Jet owners been down this road?

Any/all feedback is appreciated, thanks!

• Members

I currently have a set of NYII's in my ProJet. They sound very nice. My issue is with the quality of the pickups themselves. If you push a bit too hard on the bobbin, the chrome ring will pop off. It doesn't need to be a lot of pressure. A bit too much with your thumb will do it. So they are relatively fragile. I plan to replace the NYII's with a set of Filtertrons as soon as I have a chance to. I have the parts. I just haven't gotten to the project.

• Members

Pete Townsend on Who's Next is all Filtertron. It seems like a no brainer for a Gretsch. you can get them for $49 on eBay, or splurge and go tv jones. Either way, you should appreciate them. If you get the Gretsch ones, you may have to fashion a mount, which isn't too hard, depending on your existing set up.

• Members

I pulled out my filtertron equipped tele last night in honor of this thread. The trons perform beautifully under crunchier conditions. They are humbucking, so noise is not much issue usually. They retain a clarity even as the gain goes up, you can hear each note in a big chord.

I think I'm going to put some in a second guitar now.

• Members

This is kind of embarrassing- I'm a die-hard Who fan, and Who's Next is basically coded into my DNA by now. I knew about PT's Gretsch, but since he was using P90 equipped SG Specials on stage at that point, I figured those were responsible for the more "rock" guitar sounds on the album. Now, after some internet geekery and closer listening than I've done in years, I can hear the Gretsch.

I've basically decided not to go with P90s on this guitar unless I rule out every other option (I already have two P90 guitars). My only hesitation with Filtertrons is that they're so low output I wonder if they'd be noisy with gain or effects.

Like, regular single coil noisy, or
really
noisy?

Let's put it this way...my two choices were the NYII or a 60s Teisco Gold Foil. The gold foil is quieter. They were way noisier than my tele pups and even P90s.

And, they were more P90 in tone than Gretsch.

EG

Archived