My hollowbody design..

RaVenCAD

• Members

I dunno, 1954? You don't HAVE to have single coils to play blues. You only HAVE to have single coils if you want to do it right.. Compare what SRV sounds like with what Joe Bonamassa sounds like for an example of right vs. wrong.

The three kings all played guitars with HB's. Even Albert Collins' tele had a HB in the neck. Clapton on the Beano album was a LP. I don't think the Strat, and single coils in general, became popular for blues until SRV.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe not, but modern blues means single coils and Strats.. You don't buy a Dean or Schecter to play blues on. I'm sure it's been done, but Strats do it better.

I play blues on my Schecter's all the time. Great blues are about the player, not the tool. (Not saying I play the blues great, but still)

• Members

I play blues on my Schecter's all the time. Great blues are about the player, not the tool. (Not saying I play the blues great, but still)

To each his own, which is why I want to offer the replaceable top. Nothing like loving everything about a certain guitar except for the pickup configuration, or the color, or the wood, or the electronics... Buy the guitar and swap the top to make it whatever you want. I might even offer a P90 top if enough people ask for it. How about a custom option? People hit the website, order a top with whatever oddball combination of pups they want. Humbucker bridge, P90 neck? Easy... P90 bridge, single coil neck? Just as easy. Kicker is, the same concept is going to be applied to my solid body design.

• Members

To each his own, which is why I want to offer the replaceable top. Nothing like loving everything about a certain guitar except for the pickup configuration, or the color, or the wood, or the electronics... Buy the guitar and swap the top to make it whatever you want. I might even offer a P90 top if enough people ask for it. How about a custom option? People hit the website, order a top with whatever oddball combination of pups they want. Humbucker bridge, P90 neck? Easy... P90 bridge, single coil neck? Just as easy. Kicker is, the same concept is going to be applied to my solid body design.

This idea is why I am following your thread with such interest. I have probably posted in this thread more than any other during all of my years on HC. I think just being able to order different top woods, even with the same pickup configuration. How would a spruce top sound? What about zebra wood? Spalted Maple?

Another thought I had last night when I was looking at the Willow superimposed over the LP, is if you planned on doing a prototype out of styro foam or something similar? The idea is that this would give you a chance to double check the ergonomics before milling wood.

• Members

I'm glad you're interested in it. I hope someday to have one of my guitars and several of my tops sitting in your collection. :D

The guy that's going to cut it plans on cutting a 1/2 scale version out of a big chunk of plastic he's got lying around. That won't help the eronomics much, but it'll give him a better idea of what he's dealing with.

• Members

I just spoke to my guy - We're going to cut a plastic prototype of the neck today. I'm going to do the entire neck from the neck joint to the headstock, including frets and fretboard, so I can get a real feel for the ergonomics. Progress!

• Members

I dunno, 1954? You don't HAVE to have single coils to play blues. You only HAVE to have single coils if you want to do it right.. Compare what SRV sounds like with what Joe Bonamassa sounds like for an example of right vs. wrong.

So B.B. King has been doing it wrong all these years? Who knew. There are plenty of great examples of blues on both HB and Single coil guitars. I love playing blues on my Gretsch just as much as I do on my Strat.

But back to the real topic at hand. Congrats on finding a way to bring this thing to life. I'm really looking forward to seeing he finished product and hoping it turns out as awesome.

• Members

Gettin warmer!

Have you looked intro which case you're going to use for this thing? Will it have to be custom molded?

I was actually looking into this for the guitars I've built myself. They don't fit in the strat/tele cases, or Les Paul cases, and the generic ones they have at guitar center blow. After a few suggestions I decided the best plan was to get a generic (but nice) hardshell, rip out its guts and buy some of the same material and then redo the inside.

• Members

I'm thinking a G&G. Pretty universal fit and good quality. My Carvin CT came with one and I really like it a lot. Fender uses them too.. I won't really know for sure until it's made and I can put it in the case and see how it fits. A universal would be nice because I still really want to hit $1000. There is a serious lack of $1000 American made guitars, and I think that'd be a real sweet spot. I told someone that price and they said "You're going to sell a custom guitar for $1000?" and the answer is no. This won't be a custom order thing. It's my vision of the guitar, done to my specs. It's no more custom than a Strat or Les Paul you pull off the wall from the customer's point of view. Sure, it's a custom guitar from MY perspective, but there won't be a list of options to pick from.

Of course, that's where the tops come in. I can easily see doing those custom once the models are all in place. You want certain pickups, you go to the website, pick your configuration, pick your wood, pick your electronics, I assemble those models, export the file, cut the top and ship it. If you wanted it pre-wired, that's doable too.

• Members

I was actually looking into this for the guitars I've built myself. They don't fit in the strat/tele cases, or Les Paul cases, and the generic ones they have at guitar center blow. After a few suggestions I decided the best plan was to get a generic (but nice) hardshell, rip out its guts and buy some of the same material and then redo the inside.

Exactly.. A place I used to work did a similar operation for their packing materials. Finished product goes into a box wrapped in a blanket kind of thing, then you inject styrofoam around it.. End product was a custom molded case. I'm sure the tooling to get it going wasn't cheap, but each individual injection cost just a couple bucks. The same could be done with a guitar case.

• Members

I came up with a few combinations on the 5 piece neck that I thought I'd throw out there for some opinions:

1 - Rosewood and Ebony

5PieceNeck_4_.jpg

2 - Rosewood and Maple

5PieceNeck_1_.jpg

3 - Maple and Ebony

5PieceNeck_3_.jpg

4 - Maple and Rosewood

5PieceNeck_2_.jpg

I've also been talking to a gentleman about doing a carbon fiber reinforced neck. I don't mean something silly like doing rods in the neck either. I'm talking about the neck wrapped in a sheath of carbon fiber. Expect to see at least one of them done. That's going to look really cool.

• Members

You miiiiiiight be surprised... The difference in getting a CF neck from me and getting a CF neck from Gibson/Fender/PRS/etc is that I'm not a huge corporation trying to wring every dime out of a customer. Yeah, it'll be a little more, but that's for the materials. Talking to my guy, the labor involved to do what I'm asking is minimal. Not much more involved than sanding, painting, sanding, painting, etc... for days and days. It'd be a wooden core of course, but a shell of CF. We're still talking about it to see how feasible it is, but the cost so far is making me drool.. It would be, at best, an option though because I don't want to take away from the overall woody-ness of my design. But, I'm all for new technologies that are severely under-utilized by guitar makers. Why not use an advanced material when you can? Money? Pshh, screw money. I ain't building this thing to get rich. I'm building it because I love it, and I want to share that love. If I can do that and make enough money selling to other people to keep it going, then that's a win/win for me.

• Members

You miiiiiiight be surprised... The difference in getting a CF neck from me and getting a CF neck from Gibson/Fender/PRS/etc is that I'm not a huge corporation trying to wring every dime out of a customer.

that and they dont make them.....

carbon cloth is cheap; making appropriate used of it is a bit less cheap. simply laying some cloth on the back of the neck isnt necessarily going to add much strength. i want to do a full carbon hollow guitar at some point, but ive got too much crap to do first.

Archived