My hollowbody design..

RaVenCAD

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a question for everyone.. Which is more important to you: The ability to use standard, off-the-shelf replacement humbuckers, or the ability to adjust pickup height wihtout removing the top?

Off the shelf humbuckers. Unless of course I can specify my pickups at build time

• Members

Off the shelf humbuckers. Unless of course I can specify my pickups at build time

Of course you could. In fact, I'd be open to you sending me whatever you wanted in it so I don't end up charging people too much for components. I'd even be willing to offer it with no pickups if someone wanted to do that work for themselves and save some bucks.

FYI, my plan is to install BG pups as stockers. Why start a guitar off with cheap crap? Just get the good stuff and go with it. I hope someday to keep Bryan a very busy man.

• Members

Nope, Solidworks doesn't speak Max either. Those modelers are more freeform and artistic, where Solidworks is very rigid and mechanical. First thing SW is going to do if it opens those files is figure out all the steps used to make the model and reverse engineer it into a parametric tree of commands.

• Members

Nope, Solidworks doesn't speak Max either. Those modelers are more freeform and artistic, where Solidworks is very rigid and mechanical. First thing SW is going to do if it opens those files is figure out all the steps used to make the model and reverse engineer it into a parametric tree of commands.

obj isnt max, its alias. best bet for transfering polygonal models is stl. and by best i mean "least crap".

• Members

obj isnt max, its alias. best bet for transfering polygonal models is stl. and by best i mean "least crap".

OBJ is pretty much universal for all 3D apps. That is why i assumed it would work. I can do STL. I am uploading now for you to test in the same directory. again, this is not a clean model. I forget where i got it, but it looks pretty accurate aesthetically. Its the whole guitar, so you'll be deleting some poly's as I'm assuming the export probably combined all the layers. Let me know if that is a huge pain and I'll try to just get the bridge only in a file

• Members

Well, I got it in as a "graphics body", which means it's a picture of a 3D model that you can flip around and look at. Unfortunately, you can't touch them in any way. SW told me it had too many faces to come in as a solid or a surface. Bummer, cuz this model looks really detailed. Any chance you can export just the bridge and maybe the tuners? If not, I understand.

• Members

Only stl and wrl work with SW, and I've already converted it to a wrl. SW pukes over that one too. It's ok though, because I can use the tom.stl for a visual reference and get a model that's close enough for my purposes. I'm not cutting that, so close enough is fine. I appreciate you trying.

• Members

I have a question for everyone.. Which is more important to you: The ability to use standard, off-the-shelf replacement humbuckers, or the ability to adjust pickup height wihtout removing the top?

It depends on how easy it is to take off the top. However, you shouldn't need to change the pups if you can get Bryan to custom wind what the customer wants.

Archived