'74 Bassman 100 4 ohm head into 8 ohm cab

humanoid_bob

• Members

Anybody done it? Anybody see a problem with it?

Looking online, it seems most of the information I've found is almost evenly split between it being a bad thing and being ok to do.

I have the matching 4x12 cab so I'm not in dire need to try it, but it is huge and weighs a ton.

I have a 4x10 Marshall cab that sounds great and is much more maneuverable that I'd love to try with this head.

• Members

To stay on the safe side, I always try to keep ohms matched as I can never remember which direction is safe to go.

But I'm giving you a friendly bump as I have a mid 70's Bassman 100 and matching 412. That thing is a monster.

• Members

Electrically, it will be fine. One step up or down is not an issue. The impedance of speakers (and therefore cabs) is a nominal thing.

Is this a sealed bass cab? If it is, it might not sound as great with a guitar.

• Members

You might check out the Weber Z-matcher. It is an impedance matcher. I have one and now I can use any head with any cab I want. I like it.

Never heard of that before. Gonna have to look into that.

• Members

Electrically, it will be fine. One step up or down is not an issue. The impedance of speakers (and therefore cabs) is a nominal thing.

+1 Perfectly safe with bf/sf fenders as long as the amp is in ok condition. A 4ohm head into an 8ohm cab won't be as loud/clear as a 4ohm cab but it works fine. I run my bassman 50 into an 8ohm cab with no problems.

• Members

I've owned by Bassman since 1968. Running it at 8 ohms should be fine. Dont run it at 16 ohms though.

I blew the 1w grid resistors in mine several times as a young kid when I didnt know jack about impedance.

It takes awhile, but it damages the power tubes. They eventually glow cherry red and take out the

grid resistors. Mines only a 50W but its basically the same circuit as a 100W.

I was luckey it didnt take any transformers out. Its important you never replace the grid resistors with a higher wattage.

I've heard many cases where they did and instead of taking out a $1 resistor they take out the Power transformer.

Ive been running mine at 8 ohms for the past 10 years and the same Groove power tubes with no issues.

I wouldnt run it at 2 ohms, Too much heat. Just stick with 4 or 8 and you'll be fine.

• Members

Is this a sealed bass cab? If it is, it might not sound as great with a guitar.

Its a guitar cab. Its a Marshall 1965A lead. Its the only I've seen besides a few on Ebay. Apparently they weren't that popular, but I think it sounds great. And the light weight makes it great for gigging.

• Members

Doesn't the 100 have a mid control and a master volume? If so, color me jealous! I dig my Bassman 50, but it does seem too have too much bass & treble! It was more noticable running through my cheapo Crate GX412 cab than the Crystal Clear Labs 2 x 10 shown here, it has Jensen Mods. -Adam

037.jpg

Archived