2TEK Bridges?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I was on Warmoth's site and I saw these bridges:

http://www.the2tek.com/engine/inspect.asp?Item=3&Filter=2TEK+Products

3p.jpg

Some reviews said it sounded very pianistic and articulate with good sustain. Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm primarily an acoustic fingerstyle player, and been toying around with the idea of doing a warmoth build for some interesting tonal variety. If all the tonal aspects they claim this bridge has are true then it'd be a very good fit for what I want to do.

• Members

They were big on basses 10 years ago or so, but faded from popularity relatively quickly.

I played a bass with one for a couple of gigs and it sounded good, but wasn't better enough than the bass I was using at the time to justify the $$$. It did have very good sustain, clarity and complex harmonics. Piano-like is a good description.

As far as I know I've never heard the guitar version in use. I can see using one if you were wanting to do complex, clean, sustained chords. Or a Chet Atkins thing mixing harmonics with fretted notes. Playing styles like that could, theoretically, benefit from eliminating cross-talk between the strings.

• Members

They were big on basses 10 years ago or so, but faded from popularity relatively quickly.

I played a bass with one for a couple of gigs and it sounded good, but wasn't better enough than the bass I was using at the time to justify the $$$. It did have very good sustain, clarity and complex harmonics. Piano-like is a good description.

As far as I know I've never heard the guitar version in use. I can see using one if you were wanting to do complex, clean, sustained chords. Or a Chet Atkins thing mixing harmonics with fretted notes. Playing styles like that could, theoretically, benefit from eliminating cross-talk between the strings.

The type of technique I was forseeing doing on an electric was more Chet Atkins/Lenny Breau-ish, though I am nowhere near as skilled as those two. I was actually at Warmoth's site looking at their super wide necks, as I don't like the width of typical electric necks for fingerstyle, when I saw them.

My Parker acoustic has sustain, string separation, and balance of tone of such that my non-musician friends say it sounds like a piano. I love my Parker acoustic, so a product that claims to do something similar on electric I'm going to be rather interested in.

If the guitar version is like the bass version you described then I would think I would be happy with it, just a question of if its worth $220 to me. Another issue is how to accurately compare it to a more traditional bridge. As it requires a different bridge route, its not like I can swap bridges on the same guitar, and if I make a partcaster I don't have a similar guitar to compare it to.

• Members

If the guitar version is like the bass version you described then I would think I would be happy with it, just a question of if its worth $220 to me. Another issue is how to accurately compare it to a more traditional bridge. As it requires a different bridge route, its not like I can swap bridges on the same guitar, and if I make a partcaster I don't have a similar guitar to compare it to.

Yeah, those were my thoughts at the time as well. You can't really go back after installing one. Its basically a new body if you want a different bridge. The more I think about it I don't know if the benefits it had for basses would scale to guitars. The strings being so much thinner I don't know if there is significant cross-talk to eliminate.

The good thing is that the worst case is that you'll waste some money on a bridge that doesn't sound that different from a regular hard-tail. Best case is it will sound better. It won't sound worse.

• Members

Yeah, those were my thoughts at the time as well. You can't really go back after installing one. Its basically a new body if you want a different bridge. The more I think about it I don't know if the benefits it had for basses would scale to guitars.
The strings being so much thinner I don't know if there is significant cross-talk to eliminate.

The good thing is that the worst case is that you'll waste some money on a bridge that doesn't sound that different from a regular hard-tail. Best case is it will sound better. It won't sound worse.

Exactly what I was wondering. The youtube videos of bass there was a marked difference, but they have no such video for guitar. There is also the question of how much tonal difference there may be when playing with effects and/or distortion.

The loved the bridge on TGP, but they like anything that's expensive and has good ad copy.

I think I'll have to find someone well-versed in physics to tell me if there might be something to it without actually having to buy one and pretty much a body for it. I think for now I'll pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived