Scale length and playability

datru

• Members

I play a Ukulele with a 13 inch scale, various Guitars and a Chapman Stick with a a 36 inch scale length.

If you spend enough time with your instrument, scale length becomes irrelevant.

when i was growing up, i played classical guitar, then got a Les Paul copy, but i also played one brother's Telecaster, and another brother's Mustang. i also had a 3/4 sized classical that i played a lot. Because i was switching around so much i guess my fingers never got used to any particular scale length or neck width or contour.

i can see how if someone plays nothing but a strat for many years, and then picks up a LP, it might throw them off. and vice versa.

• Members

i notice a big difference between 24.75 and 25.5

tbh i think somewhere in-between would be right for me (in standard tuning, with 10s) but i don't have the funds for a PRS (nor would i ever spend that much moolah on a guitar if i did) and i hate the look of them

are there any cheaper guitars that have a scale length in-between 27.45 and 25.5?

• Members

i notice a big difference between 24.75 and 25.5

tbh i think somewhere in-between would be right for me (in standard tuning, with 10s) but i don't have the funds for a PRS (nor would i ever spend that much moolah on a guitar if i did) and i hate the look of them

are there any cheaper guitars that have a scale length in-between 27.45 and 25.5?

Eh, not all PRS guitars cost 4 figures...

• Members

When practicing stretching exercises the difference btwn my hwy one tele and godin exit 22 is significant.

yeah, i think if you can't tell the difference then you're probably not playing anything demanding/technical

• Members

and there are other makers who use in-between scales. my Danelectro RIs have all been 25" scales.

i didn't know that about Danos. i've always gassed for them, now even more so!

which model is that that has 25" scale exactly?

• Members

I have one guit with 24.75" scale, and one with 24" ....the shorter one is running 9s for strings (with a floating trem), 10s on the other...other than the obvious difference in feel due to the strings/trem, the only time I notice the scale difference is when I get up into the highest of frets...frets 20-24 on the BMG are VERY close together, I kind of have to use the side of my finger to fret up there, but...don't spend that much time that high, and it's doable, in any case. Lower down the fretboard, I notice no difference

• Members

every dano i've owned in the DC line had a 25" scale. that probably means the U line too.

Well I'll be a truck-driver's ballbag! Always thought my Dano was a 24.75 scale. I certainly can't tell the diff between that and another guitar of mine that I KNOW is 24.75.

• Members

Well I'll be a truck-driver's ballbag! Always thought my Dano was a 24.75 scale. I certainly can't tell the diff between that and another guitar of mine that I KNOW is 24.75.

nobody can. there's a very slight difference in tone, but anybody who thinks they can pick it out is kidding themselves.

• Members

nobody can. there's a very slight difference in tone, but anybody who thinks they can pick it out is kidding themselves.

Aye. That and all the other factors; pickups, the fact the Dano is made of wood you wouldn't make a chair out of... :love:

• Members

Yeah, I wish guitar manufacturers/sellers would include all the measurements in the specs - you can almost always find out the scale length (which looking at this thread isn't THAT much of an issue as far as playability goes) but I recently had to email a guitar company for neck thickness at 1st and 12th fret and they didn't bother to answer my question about string spacing which can differ quite a bit no matter what the nut width is.

• Members

Wait..you admit there is a difference(slight)...so...YOU can hear it....but everyone else who does is kidding themselves?

Ya, no.

Archived