How do you use your guitar tuner

jds22

• Members

I said, it's an aid to me...not that I don't use one. What I mean by that is I tune with a tuner first, then adjust with my ears. As far as playing to 5K people, well NO I've never done that, but I did play in front of a few thousand all the time in the late 70's...before we had tuners. So I can attest to the fact that it certainly can be done.

Yeah, I know it can be done. We toured the country in the eighties, and we, no one in my band in those days, ever used a tuner live at all. Five years of playing with no tuner, then in about 86 or so, we were making some decent money, got a few endorsements, etc, so we all went out and bought a bunch of rack gear. We argued over the need to get tuners because we prided ourselves on not needing them. One week on the road using them and we couldn't figure out why we waited so long.

I hear what you are saying about fine tuning by ear after using the tuner. I think everyone pretty much does that.

• Members

I actually went one step further...about two years ago I bought a Gibson Robot SG....don't need no stinkin' tuners AND don't even have to tune it as it tunes itself. I actually liked the guitar, but I sold it because I was sure it was going to break and didn't want to deal with it. But I have to say it was pretty cool to see it tune itself and it was nice for going into alternate tunings.

Yeah, I know it can be done. We toured the country in the eighties, and we, no one in my band in those days, ever used a tuner live at all. Five years of playing with no tuner, then in about 86 or so, we were making some decent money, got a few endorsements, etc, so we all went out and bought a bunch of rack gear. We argued over the need to get tuners because we prided ourselves on not needing them. One week on the road using them and we couldn't figure out why we waited so long.

I hear what you are saying about fine tuning by ear after using the tuner. I think everyone pretty much does that.

• Members

I forgot where I read it,maybe the Seymour Duncan site but I could be wrong but I have been doing this. Neck pup with the tone pot rolled all the way down.

I read the same thing, probably in Guitar World. I use a $25 Boss TU-80 tuner/metronome. Had it for years. Its had all kinds of {censored} spilled on it and Ive dropped it about 40 times and it still works like a champ.

Archived