Les Paul Build #2

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Noobie, I was looking at that headstock logo and wondering how it would have turned out if you had taken sawdust from the holly and made a grain filler paste with it and some clear glue? I've done some similar things with woodworking projects to fill gaps and it usually comes out pretty close to a match in color. That way you could have used the stain. It just doesn't soak as well into the filler, but it will still accept some stain.

The other thing is, you could have still used a little black filler to create a shadowbox effect on the lettering if it is placed just right.

Maybe an experiment for next time huh?

Looking great anyway though. :thu:

• Members

hillarious !!!! LOL !!!!

Completely OT, but I got that from a friend who's husband died recently. That was one of his things that she was just like WTF do I do with this thing. It is a $200 at Cabelas thing:idk:

So it is my very weirdest crazy hat ever, and it's from a dead friend. What a way to remember a guy...ficken fox hat, I gotta buy something this weird to leave behind:lol: or not, I do own a fox headdress.

• Members

That actually looks pretty cool on its own! Consider just clear coating it with the grain filler???

I thought that was the plan. The clear will darken up the wood though, so it won't look exactly like that with a clear coat on it.

• Members
I thought that was the plan. The clear will darken up the wood though, so it won't look exactly like that with a clear coat on it.

yup, you are correct, that's the plan and yes, the clear should darken it some... :thu:

i think it's gonna look killer that way :rawk:

• Members

That looks completely and totally awesome. You are the king of sexeh LPs as far as I'm concerned :thu:

I'd buy one made by you, without a doubt. It looks like a quality axe :rawk:

Archived