Any diff' in composition of plain strings in a set of nickel plated vs pure nickel?

GAS Man

• Members

I know the "apparent" difference in tone between "pure nickel" strings vs "nickel plated" strings, but other than the composition of the wrappings over the steel cores (on the E, A & D wound strings) is there any difference in the alloy composition of the plain strings (G, B & e)?

About the only reference I can find is that the plain steel strings are typically "tin plated". But does the manufacturer do anything else to the plain strings on a "pure nickel wound" set (like more tin plating?) to make the plain strings a bit more mellow to balance with the pure nickel wrap wound strings?

I'm chewing on this because I want to swap out the bright wires on one of my strats with pure nickel wound strings, but it's really only the higher strings I'd like to mellow out their "keerang" tone. And I really don't want to go thicker than 10s.

• Members

In theory, same strings. Nickel plated versus Pure Nickel only deals with the wrap.

But the steel used for the core could make a difference, all steel contains iron...after that it can be made from an infinite number or recipes mixing a variety of elements. So you might notice a difference between two brands, even if using equivalent string sets.

• Members

But the steel used for the core could make a difference, all steel contains iron...after that it can be made from an infinite number or recipes mixing a variety of elements. So you might notice a difference between two brands, even if using equivalent string sets.

Yeah, that makes some sense. According to Wiki, besides carbon steel can contain: "Other alloying elements sometimes used are manganese, chromium, vanadium and tungsten" so I guess the recipe can be altered.

I wonder why they plate with tin instead of nickel. Or maybe that's more of an Ernie Ball thing. I couldn't find any description on the D'Addario site.

Thanks guys! :wave:

• Members

I was also wondering.

As an added note, or question, the new cobalts don't offer yet the plain strings individually. That doesn't bother me as I hate those strings and never will buy them again. But for those who like them, they better not break too soon.

Archived