NAD.... Low wattage high tonal bliss (Laney content)

Saturn

• Members

So when MF was blowing out the Kustoms a while ago I got the V5 and went back to get the V15 but it was sold out. I have been wanting something in the 15-20 watt range. I'm really kind of glad I missed the V15. I went down to GC this morning hoping to find some thing cool or inspiring and I found it.

It's a Laney LC15R. The thing isn't much bigger than my Kustom V5. It has a 10in speaker and a real spring reverb. It runs 4 12ax7s and 2 el84s. It runs kind of hot but I guess when you pack all of those tubes, speaker and reverb tank into that tiny cab it's bound to generate some heat.

As far as sound goes all I can say to describe it is AWSOME! Not honky like a lot of the small tube amps out there. It has a really full tone. It's not really a high gain monster but has plenty of gain on tap for what I need. Gets to the hard rock slightly metal area. Push it with a OD and it pulls off some great Metal tones. I thought the 10in speaker might hold it back some but it sounds pretty good. I think it could hold up to a full band setting but it has speaker out so it can be connected to an external cab. I ran it through my 212 and it sounded huge. It also has line out and an effects loop.

So as I said I'm kind of happy I didn't get the V15. I would have probably missed out on this little monster.

8babc7fe.jpg

• Members

oILaHmb2Xml0pmgk1Q7axQTJo1_400-1.gif

HNAD!

I like tube amps in the 15-20 watt range because they're loud enough for group jams, band practice and gigs. My 15 watter has a master volume, so it works well for low volume practice at home as well. I've owned a few 5 watt amps, and still have one, but I have trouble hearing them in a band situation.

• Members

Ya my 5 watt would never cut it for jams or in a band situation. The Laney should do good. I can't wait to give it a try. It has a master volume so I can play it at a reasonable volume but still slightly loud. But the overall tone is great. Really nice little amp.

• Members

Funny, sitting here playing mine now while browsing here.

Enjoy. Love this thing.

Rock On! I have mine cranked up withe the full pedal board hooked up. It's cool having an effects loop on a small amp like this. The Laney likes pedals.

• Members

I've read nothing but good reviews about that series of Laney amps.

Congrats!

I got one of the v15's and I love it...playing through it right now:love:

I dig my V5 and for the price the Kustoms can't be beat. Nice sounding little amps.

• Members

I was familiar with several Laney models but the LC series wasn't on my radar at all. Looks Like people that have them or played them love them. I might be able to use it for a little jam on Friday if we can get a drummer up her to my house in the woods. I find that I can have the gain cranked and it still cleans up real nice with my guitar volume knob.

• Members

The VC15 is also worth a try. Sounds like a Vox, but with more features for less money.

I have had a chance to play a VC. Nice amp but the store it was at wanted to much for it. I may go back and play it again just to get a better sense of what it can do.

Archived