Protest Against A&R Connections

• Members

Before you do anything with A&R Connections - check out what happened in Seattle. My friends' band StabbingBack recently got totally jacked by this company - so they decided to rent a trailer & a generator, setup their gear and jam outside the venue - check out their myspace for the video

myspace.com/stabbingback

• Members

You know, I'd love to jump on board with these guys and be all belligerent and {censored}, but what did they expect? Did they think that all 10 bands were going to get 45 minutes? And is not 40 songs from bands like that in a joint like that a full show?

:confused:

• Members

Yeah, the band could have described what happened in more detail - specifically how A&R Connections kept changing the deal. They were first told that they were getting full sets, then when too many bands signed up, they limited it - which was AFTER the bands sold the tickets and the fans were expecting a full set, not 3 songs from their band then who knows what.

Second, A&RC first had the place billed at a very cool club downtown Seattle, then again, after everyone sold the tickets - they changed the location to Studio Seven - which is south of Seattle - bad, bad area.

Then A&RC changed whatthe winning band would get - from a meet & greet with major A&R agents - to 5 freaking minutes with one guy. FIVE MINUTES!

That's just the beginning.

If you want more details b4 you get involved with A&RC - stabbing back started a myspace group for other bands who got fvcked. go to myspace.com/stabbingback for more

These scams exist in one form or another all over the nation. They were stupid enough to fall for it, so I really don't feel any sympathy. Cut your losses, dudes...

• Members

Unfortunately, part of the learning process for most professions is developing a strong and accurate Bull{censored} Filter. Whether you're a musician, songwriter, journalist, salesperson, manager -- whatever -- you absolutely need to evaluate the never-ending stream of crap that will be presented by many (not all) business connections, employers, employees, customers, et al.

This is why there are so many lawyers in the world. We actually need them to keep people honest. Which is why you also need your Super-Sensitive, High-Powered Bull{censored} Filter for dealing with lawyers.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

This A&R Connections scam went thru SonicBids as a $2.00 opportunity. When it came time for a decision to be made as to who gets the opportunity, the A&R website and contact information went south. Total scam. This now has crossed over into federal email fraud and jail time. (interstate Ricoh Act) Anybody know where these guys live? The Attorney General would like to ask them some questions.

• Members

I don't want to critcize too too much here, but:

They signed and indie deal earlier this year. That's got to speak for something as to their talent and ability.

But they still got suckered into a pay-to-play scam? Something doesn't add up...

So, either you're bringing us very, very old news...or, they're just getting what they deserve for trusting someone they shouldn't have. If this is the case, I would hate to see the terms of their deal...yuck.

• Members

100 tickets each band at 15 bucks? Man, those bands all got hosed good. I like the protest, but wish they would have taken the A&R punks hostage ala that "airheads" movie. Then they would have gotton some press!!!!! Rock on!

• Members

Before you do anything with A&R Connections - check out what happened in Seattle. My friends' band StabbingBack recently got totally jacked by this company - so they decided to rent a trailer & a generator, setup their gear and jam outside the venue - check out their myspace for the video

myspace.com/stabbingback

It looks like they stabbed back! (I have not seen the youtube video.)

• Members

I don't want to critcize too too much here, but:

They signed and indie deal earlier this year. That's got to speak for something as to their talent and ability.

But they still got suckered into a pay-to-play scam? Something doesn't add up...

Even *big* bands get scammed every now and then. I've heard a couple of stories along that line.

Music is not the squeakiest-clean industry out there.

• Members

I myself having worked as an A&R for a major record label for a few years and also still work as a talent scout I have never used any of these services to find acts. Most acts are found because someone is making a lot of noise via myspace, youtube, etc and then we will check out where and when they have a show and have someone check it out. There are a lot of people signed by having managers and lawyers the label knows walk them into the label and do a small performance in front of everyone.

• Members

It's kind of hard to have a bull{censored} detector when you are just a regular band trying to make some noise in the industry. Sometimes you are just excited that you have an opportunity to play in front of alot of people and A@R guys it kind of blinds you to the fact that it may be bull{censored}. I mean everyone can't be full of {censored}, there has to be some legitimacy found somewhere for unknown bands to get ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Scafeets, def agree.

Its sad that these people exist.

Artists need to realise i think, that its about generating heat for yourself.

and then attracting business people - not paying for something like this...

GOOD ON THEM for the protest!

RESPECT - fight for your right.

Archived