Who's the most talented band?

Wrawl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by TheFury

hey guys, what about weather report? no one mentioned them!

Hell yeah man. Weather report is awesome. Jaco is an awesome bass players. He was crazy too. Always disapearing then being discovered completly naked. Too bad hes dead now. :(

Anywho this thread is kinda pointless unless you want to start many arguments. Many pointless arguments. Everyone has their own favorites and influences. Everyone also has their own opinions. I myself will listen to anything even if it's not my favorite, I still will like it. As for favorites, there are many talented musicians and bands put there so to start naming them or to list them all would be ridiculous. That is my two cents worth.

• Members

Originally posted by manboobs

Is song writing the only "talent" that should be considered?

No, but I think it is a talent that is often overlooked in favor of "chops". Without good song writing abilities you just have a bunch of hacks showing off. All the bands (like dream theater etc) where all have degrees from berklee, and can play 128th double bass notes bore the crap out of me. These people kill any "soul" left in the music. It seems like so many people in this forum place a high value on how many notes someone can play in a 4 bar measure, or how fast or loud someone is. This is why certain drummers (like Ringo), and types of music (like punk) are constantly ripped on. Bands and musicians that really will make a difference in this world focus on the song first. Everything comes second. If you not working for the song, then your playing a solo and people could care less.

• Members

Originally posted by HulkBlood01

Hetfield, maybe WM you can help me out on this, but i remember he could downpick six or eight times a second.
A second.
Amazing!

yeah, he downpicks just about everything they do, and most people alternate pick alot of Metallica's stuff because they can't play them downpicking. Muahaha!!! Hetfield is god... Dimebag Darrell once dubbed him "The God Of Downpicking" in some Guitar Magazine; probably Guitar World..

• Members

Talented as in the whole band is I would go with:

Incubus, Tool, Rush, Zeppelin, The Police, Oysterhead but theres a {censored} load more I know and just don't feel like thinking of, but Lars Ulrich has actually grown on me he isn't that damn bad he just gets {censored} over Napster. Hell at least he is unique, When he's drumming I know it's him.

• Members

Originally posted by manboobs

Is song writing the only "talent" that should be considered?

Definately not. There are so many aspects that go into being talented and songwriting is just one of those, albeit a crucial one. I think that songwriting has as much to do with talent as discipline or raw, untainted feeling (as clearly seen in most punk music.) and knowledge of theory and history as applied to the given music does. Talent comes in all forms but for me to say who I think the most "talented" band is, I would have to take all things into account and weigh them on the overall talent of the band as opposed to a single standout player in the band as well as diversity of the music produced by that band, longevity (which I think is a guage to show a band's true worth), and the band's devotion to music. Rush is a band that came to mind immediately and I am a guitar player. (Go figure!) I think Rush fills all of the requirements to be considered the most "talented" band. There are so many out there I wouldn't know where to begin. Everyone from the Grateful Dead to Pantera has their merits. Out of the new music on the radio, I would say, Incubus is up there in the "raw talent" category. They have only been playing for ten years and they are starting to really come together as a totally cohisive unit. Band of Gypsies are another group that don't get the recognition that they deserve as a cohisive band because they just happened to have a front man that single handedly changed the face of music. Parliament is another group that I think is at the top of their catagory. (whatever catagory that is) Man, there are so many out ther. Every time I have seen Metallica they have blown me away. They write awesome songs, perform FOR the crowd, and try new things even if they know they will be shunned. Too many to list and I gotta go crap so this is all I will write for now.

• Members

hmmm how about the London Symphony Orchestra or any other major orchestra for that matter. Or how about the Buddy Rich Band, or Count Basie or Duke Ellington, or Steve Vai, or Frank Zappa. This is such an absurd question. Best musicians ever? No one has the answer to this question. I just find it funny that people actually name 311 or incubus as some of the most talented bands EVER. For christ's sake get out from under the rock you are under and listen to something other than what you hear on the radio. I suggest you study some classical and jazz music and find out what REAL talent is all about. There is a musical realm out there beyond metallica tabs, just so you know.

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

hmmm how about the London Symphony Orchestra or any other major orchestra for that matter. Or how about the Buddy Rich Band, or Count Basie or Duke Ellington, or Steve Vai, or Frank Zappa. This is such an absurd question. Best musicians ever? No one has the answer to this question. I just find it funny that people actually name 311 or incubus as some of the most talented bands EVER. For christ's sake get out from under the rock you are under and listen to something other than what you hear on the radio. I suggest you study some classical and jazz music and find out what REAL talent is all about. There is a musical realm out there beyond metallica tabs, just so you know.

AMEN!

• Members

You obviously are missing the point. I have listened to as many styles of music as I am aware of. I just think that Orchestra music is for old, stuffy, rich bitches and crybaby weirdos. Is that opinionated enough for you? I also think that Jazz offers some of the most talent that I have ever heard but I didn't want to get into every style of music there is because I knew that there is always some super-educated {censored} fart waiting in the wings to pounce on people's opinions. Remember that being a musical genious doesn't make everyone else suck. Where can I buy your latest CD?

• Members

I'm not trying to condescend anyone here. I don't know what your problem is porkchop. I'm proving a point. Most people, especially young people, have tunnel vision when it comes to music. You don't have to like every style of music out there, but you can still have APPRECIATION for it. I studied classical and jazz for about 15 years, and i don't listen to it particularly often, but i still have a deep apprecation for the talent and hard work involved in it. I like bands like 311 and incubus, but i'm not going to say they are the most talented band ever, that just sounds nieve. Besides, who truly knows how talented any musician is? You think Phil Rudd of AC/DC can only play 1 rock beat? You really have no idea. Just becuase i contradict other people's opinions, doesn't mean i pretend to know more or try to pass myself off as super educated in music. I was just making a point which i thought needed to be made. Sounds like you have quite an inferiority complex. I'm not trying to say i'm better than anyone here, so why don't you kiss my ass.

• Members

I'm not trying to condescend anyone here. I don't know what your problem is porkchop. I'm proving a point. Most people, especially young people, have tunnel vision when it comes to music. You don't have to like every style of music out there, but you can still have APPRECIATION for it. I studied classical and jazz for about 15 years, and i don't listen to it particularly often, but i still have a deep apprecation for the talent and hard work involved in it. I like bands like 311 and incubus, but i'm not going to say they are the most talented band ever, that just sounds nieve. Besides, who truly knows how talented any musician is? You think Phil Rudd of AC/DC can only play 1 rock beat? You really have no idea. Just becuase i contradict other people's opinions, doesn't mean i pretend to know more or try to pass myself off as super educated in music. I was just making a point which i thought needed to be made. Sounds like you have quite an inferiority complex. I'm not trying to say i'm better than anyone here, so why don't you kiss my ass.

The name of the thread is "Who's the most talented band". It is not "who's the most talented band ever." That could be construed as who is the best band at the moment and with the new bands that are out there right now, I see Incubus as very talented among their peers. Talent comes in many shapes and sizes, I would expect a music scholar such as yourself to be able to see that. Having the most extensive music theory knowledge and being able to play at the speed of light are not the only things that talent encompasses. Yes, you're right, I have no idea of anything because I believe Phil Rudd can only play one rock beat. :rolleyes: What the hell is that? How would you have any concept of the depths of my musical knowledge? This thread was fun until your pompus ass came along with your "I can't believe you groudlings think Incubus has talent" attitude. Incubus writes some awesome songs. Period. In that respect alone I believe they have a lot of talent. As far as you saying that you don't pretend to know more or pass yourself off as super educated? I didn't see anyone else saying "get out of the rock you're under and listen to something other than what you hear on the radio." I listen to a ton of music and not all of it is on the radio. You come across as a person who knows it all. If that is the case then you should already be aware that boys that listen to orchestra music don't get laid much. Now take off your turtle neck, put down the grape jelly, and go learn some Dave Weckle.

• Members

Alright i read my original post, and i can see how it may sound like i'm bashing incubus and 311. I'm not. I happen to really like both those bands, as well as lots of other bands that get a bad rap like Ozzy, GnR, Skid Row, Motley Crue, etc. I'm a huge hard rock fan, and it's the focus of my drumming becasue i love the energy involved. But i have an appreciation of other types of music, and i don't try and pass off rock as the end-all be-all of music. There are tons of amazing musicans outside the rock and roll realm. But you can't tell me you don't get sick of hearing about the same damn bands all the time on this forum. Some people are so into certain bands that they push them on everyone and proclaim them as the best band ever. I think it's absolutely silly, and it's just as obnoxious as me coming on the forum and telling them how nieve they are.

PS i believe it's david wreckel :)

• Members

Alright i read my original post, and i can see how it may sound like i'm bashing incubus and 311. I'm not. I happen to really like both those bands, as well as lots of other bands that get a bad rap like Ozzy, GnR, Skid Row, Motley Crue, etc. I'm a huge hard rock fan, and it's the focus of my drumming becasue i love the energy involved. But i have an appreciation of other types of music, and i don't try and pass off rock as the end-all be-all of music. There are tons of amazing musicans outside the rock and roll realm. But you can't tell me you don't get sick of hearing about the same damn bands all the time on this forum. Some people are so into certain bands that they push them on everyone and proclaim them as the best band ever. I think it's absolutely silly, and it's just as obnoxious as me coming on the forum and telling them how nieve they are.

PS i believe it's david wreckel
:)

OK truce. I hear you man. My love for music definately stems from my Rock n' Roll roots. I see where you are coming from when you say that certain bands are pushed onto everyone in this forum. Some bands and artists that are pounded into peoples brains I believe should be pushed (i.e. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Miles Davis, Count Baise, Frank Zappa, Tenancious D, etc... etc... etc...) because without these bands and artists (and soooooomany more) music would not be what it is today. Personally, if I hear one more thing about System of a Down or P.O.D. I think I'm gonna puke.

Oh yeah, and Weckle, Wreckle. Whatever, I'm a guitarist, I can spell Yngwie Malmsteen and Django Reinhardt.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

You obviously are missing the point. I have listened to as many styles of music as I am aware of. I just think that Orchestra music is for old, stuffy, rich bitches and crybaby weirdos. Is that opinionated enough for you? I also think that Jazz offers some of the most talent that I have ever heard but I didn't want to get into every style of music there is because I knew that there is always some super-educated {censored} fart waiting in the wings to pounce on people's opinions. Remember that being a musical genious doesn't make everyone else suck. Where can I buy your latest CD?

Hey I listen to classical. I love jazz. I'm only like 16. SO i guess you are stereo typing. I had a point to make but I have a bad hangover right now so ill try this when im good....

• Members

Damn man, 16 and you already have a hang over? You have a lot of time to de-hydrate yourself into nausia, but you do what you want.

Anyway, I think some of the greatest bands out there today are away from the pop music. I consider all the bands that are played repeatedly to be "pop" music, because by definition their music is popular. I think that Tool is one of the most innovative hard rock bands out there. Yet, I also like The Strokes, The Hives, The blah blah blah...I listen to the bands that are on the radio, but I have more interest in bands that are rarely heard on main stream media. Dillinger Escape Plan is one of the best bands that I have heard in a long time. I also like Cave In and Glassjaw a lot (although I heard Glassjaw's new album wasn't that great). Pinback have some very talented bass players incorporated into their repertoire and they are very talented at song writing. Dave Buckley (or whatever his name is) writes some great heart wrenching songs. I don't limit myself by genre (well except for country and most hip hop/ hip pop:D ), because there is a lot of music just waiting to be heard. I hate record labels, because they think they know everything about music. Their egos are much more inflated than any musician's ego.

Archived