iPhone for music creation - worth it? Who records on their phone?

Ancient Mariner

• Members

I'm coming to the time when my contract will be up soon, and debating whether to switch to an iPhone 4S. Does anyone actually record using their iPhone, and if so, is the quality good enough to play publicly and is the screen large enough for good control?

I don't especially *want* an iPhone (been quite happy with my android HTC Desire) but wondered if a 4S might be useful?

Let's not have an iPhone vs Android debate. I already prefer the thinking behind Android, but the utility for some applications (like this) isn't there yet.

• Members

iPad is better because of the screen size, but there are a bunch of cool apps on iOS that make it good for recording and music creation. Android is behind in this as the core OS doesn't have the same built in capabilities.

Also, you'll need some kind of audio interface to get decent audio into it.

I have a drum machine, a looper and a DAW which I use all the time.

• Members

With an interface, you can definitely do demo quality recordings. The built in mic sounds like crap and compresses quickly. What I use it for more than anything is just for jotting down ideas and as a practice tool. I have garage band, ishred live, studio mini. And a bunch of synths and drum machines. If you just want to get into recording, I'd recommend getting an Mbox or similar. If you want to be able to create on the go, the iPhone is a fun tool.

• Members

Thanks guys.

If I record then it's in our living room, and I'd quite like something that's easier than setting up a mic on an amp, with all the EQing and placement issues that entails. An iPad would be a better device, but that's not somewhere I want to go right now.

Gotcha. Yeah, if you're just recording guitar over backing tracks or whatever, the iPhone is mint for that.

• Members

Thanks guys.

If I record then it's in our living room, and I'd quite like something that's easier than setting up a mic on an amp, with all the EQing and placement issues that entails. An iPad would be a better device, but that's not somewhere I want to go right now.

Then an iPhone plus iRig or similar into Garageband would be perfect.

• Members

I record with Garage Band quite often. More so on my iPad than iPhone but they both work the same. I find it to be a great tool for quickly recording an idea or for practice. I put Garage Band for iOS at the top of my best gear perchases.

Archived