Should I save up For the Agile AL-3100 vs AL-2000?

wanderoo222

• Members

I have $300 saved to order the Agile AL-2000 rootbeer flamed wide neck and case. I've read the reviews and feel this is the guitar to buy for this price range. But after comparing the AL-2000 vs the AL-3100 I'm left wondering if I should save up the difference; I have 2 Gibson Classic 57's to replace the stock pickups with , so that's not an issue. The Al3100 word cost about $500 w/case and shipping. Is it worth the difference in your opinion? SPECS comparison chart is at the link below.

http://www.rondomusic.net/alspec.html

• Members

not for anything but for 500 bucks I'd consider an epiphone LP. Hell, if you can swing 500, start looking around for a used gibson LP studio faded/VM model. Those are awesome and can be found for between 500 and 600.

Makes me wonder how many Agiles you've owned.

Get the 3000 series. I've had the 2000 series and the 3000 is just a nicer looking guitar with the triple binding, better electronics, better overall feel. I know there really isn't a huge difference between the two but I can feel it. I can't do the 2000's anymore after owning 3000's.

• Members

if you are modding the guitar.. i would go with the $220 Agile 2000.. with new pups it will sound near identical to the 3000.. but both are very nice playable guitars..

i have 2 2000s.. and one i cant bring my self to change from stock... i like the tone of it so much..

4242201942_5496c9d8b7_z.jpg?zz=1

5264303585_3784cf109b_z.jpg

but again its jmho..

• Members

if you're dropping that amount of cash though, it's smart to think of resale value. an Epi or Gibson (especially used) will have much more value than the agile.

Of course, that depends if you're in the business of regularly reselling your guitars.

• Members

Makes me wonder how many Agiles you've owned.

Get the 3000 series. I've had the 2000 series and the 3000 is just a nicer looking guitar with the triple binding, better electronics, better overall feel. I know there really isn't a huge difference between the two but I can feel it. I can't do the 2000's anymore after owning 3000's.

Honestly, zero. Although I've spent plenty of time on their website looking at their guitars and have come very close to ordering one quite a few times. For some reason though, I've never been able to pull the trigger and end up buying whichever epi or gibson the agile I was looking at is modeled after. I guess I'd rather have the real thing, although now that I have a few gibsons and epis I keep telling myself that it's time to buy an agile to see if they are really all everyone claims they are. But in all honesty, this site seems to have the bulk of positive reviews about them. I've read some not so positive things about them on other sites so it's hard to tell.

What I do know is that if I didn't own any gibsons or agiles and was looking for a LP or LP style guitar, my first choice would easily be a gibson, second choice an epi, then third choice one of the other brands like agile or esp or maybe even xaviere. But if someone wants a les paul, you can't beat a gibson except for maybe one of the top-tier replicas like tokai or edwards.

Bottom line, if I have 500 bucks in my pocket and you give me two choices - an agile or a gibson studio faded, I'll take the gibson every time, even if the gibson costs me 600 and the agile 500, I'll still take the gibson.

• Members

I think 500 is very near the line of going from inexpensive, to mid-range.

Depending on your patience, save up for a used Gibson man. I love my used LP. Of course, you do seem to like the amenities of the fancier LPs, so you may be happier with the niceer Agile, having never played one, I don't know.

Not that they suck, but if someone came along and told me theirs was better than my Gibson, I would squint right at them and stroke my chin in a confused sort of way.

• Members

If the extra money for th Agile 3100 is not going to be a problem, keep an eye out for a used Gibson while saving up the rest. If you find that it comes down to the Epi or the Agile, if it were me, after knowing what I do about Epi's, I'd go for the Agile 3100 as it has all the basics of a real Gibson with better electronics, real pearl inlays, and a solid mahogany body, not some lammed crap as Epi's do in that price range. The name on the headstock in that price range, to me, means nothing.

Regardless of what the headstock says, the Agile is a better guitar overall for that money.

• Members

To the OP: The 3xxx will have a nicer top, better pots, better pickups, triple binding, ebony fretboard, and an over all nicer feel...That said, the 2xxx is probably the better bargain. You will get a hell of a good guitar for $200. Either way you can't really go wrong. If you don't happen to like it for any reason just send it back to Kurt for another one or a refund. What you shouldn't do is listen to people who have never played an Agile. They don't know what they're talking about.

I don't buy guitars to sell them. I buy them to play. So, I don't worry too much about resale value.

remember to post photos when it arrives.

rhone

• Members

Agiles = Korean Epiphones.

I'm still suprised some people dont know that...

So, the basic Agile al2000 is very similar to the

standard and higher end epi lp's.

Agile 3000's, are a step up with ebony board

and better pickups, etc...

Brand new Agile 3000's run $400, I don't ever see

Gibson VM's for $400. If you are lucky, $500 but they

are usually $600. And having played many Gibson VM's,

unless you can cherry pick your VM, the Agile 3K is just

as good if not better.

• Members

I can't speak about the AL2000's because I've only seen them on the internet. I do however own a fantastic AL3500. It does have some sloppy inlays on the fretboard; nothing loose or even really noticeable, but there is some filler in there. I couldn't possibly care less about it.

The good. Ebony fretboard, hand filed frets, perfectly cut bone nut (better than any of the Gibsons I've ever owned), good tuners, seymour duncan pickups, 3/4" maple top. Weighs in just under 2 metric tons. Plays fantastic.

The bad. I got it in the used section at GC for $120 after a $40 trade in on an old preamp I had. I didn't even know anything about it other than it was an Agile and I had wanted to try one out for a while. Within 2 minutes of playing it I knew that it was going home with me. Why is that bad? Because when I finally figured out what the hell it was and found the original webpage it was a $630 guitar new. If the asking price at GC was $180 that means that the guy who traded it in got about 40-60% less for it. That's a hell of a lot of depreciation for a headstock.

It slays any Epiphone I've ever played and I've owned more than a few of them. This is coming from a long time doubter of the Agile. Every salesperson in the store came up to the counter to see the guy who bought the guitar that nobody knew about. Everyone in there was impressed with it.

From what I understand most of the newer 3xxx series use pickups that are voiced pretty close to the '57 classics so you could probably sell the ones you got and use that money to offset the price difference. I'm a huge fan of the '57's myself so I know where you're coming from.

• Members

AL2000 versus the AL3000/AL3100

Well - I can tell you.

the AL2000 is a solid LP copy - with a Maple neck with rosewood fretboard and pearloid inlays and what's called a A veneer top.

the AL3000 is a better LP copy - more of a guitar in itself. A mahogany neck with Ebony fretboard and either Abalone or Mother of Pearl inlays.

the AL2000 has below average ceramic pickups where the AL3000/AL3100's have Alnico V pickups that I just love - they sound better to me than burstbuckers/498T's which sound thin and heartless

the right answer is - WAIT FOR A B STOCK AL3000/AL3100, that way you get the upgrades for less cost!!

as far as resale - my Agile PS series (had three now one left) both went for more than 450.00 and I paid less than 225.00 for both!!!!!! one went for $800.00

• Members

BTW - here are my Agile AL guitars and my PS-970

101_0815.jpg

Spalted Rootbeer AL3100 - B stock ($275.00)

102_1343.jpg

102_1348.jpg

AL2000 Black Cherry

AL2000CherryFlame.jpg

AL3000 Spalted

100_2002.jpg

103_1063.jpg

the family -

guitars035.jpg

I've had a lot of them and although enjoyed them all I now have: AL2000 black cherry, AL3000 Spalted, 2 AL3100's - Rootbeer Spalted and not shown - CSB.

• Members

I'd buy the cheaper one, because the pickups you're installing will more than make up for anything the other would have, sound-wise.

I do not personally own an Agile, but a bandmate does, and I set it up for him. It's a goldtop LP copy with P90s. Man, that thing sounds great. I'd buy an Agile based off of his. They've got a double-cut P90 guitar (similar to an LP double cut), and it looks good to me.

That said, it's not better than my Gibson Faded Studio, in tone or playability. It still is a nice guitar, though.

• Members

I have the AD3000 with humbuckers and it's very nice!! I am looking missing a P-90 type guitar!!

I'd buy the cheaper one, because the pickups you're installing will more than make up for anything the other would have, sound-wise.

I do not personally own an Agile, but a bandmate does, and I set it up for him. It's a goldtop LP copy with P90s. Man, that thing sounds great. I'd buy an Agile based off of his. They've got a double-cut P90 guitar (similar to an LP double cut), and it looks good to me.

That said, it's not better than my Gibson Faded Studio, in tone or playability. It still is a nice guitar, though.

Archived