NGD Pacifica 721

Lonnie99

• Members

More than a great guitar.

I can tell you from playing my 812w that these guitars are just magic, your not going to get the same feel, quality sound, and craftsmanship like this out of a regular 212 Pacifica they make now a days or let alone a 112. These guitars are another level entirely when it comes to feel, quality, sound, craftsmanship, parts, fit and finish, and set up!

This is more on par with an American Standard and above your typical MIM standard, despite it being made in Taiwan and it being a Yamaha, frankly Im just shocked.

I just cant wrap my head around how much of a beast these guitars are.

The irony with Pacificas is that it actually started as a California based custom shop where they made instruments of superlative quality with outwordly innovations and craftmanship, largely hand made. "Pacificas" were going to be Yamaha's prestige line for S and T style guitars (sort of what SG2000/3000 were for LP custom). The even made Jackson style neck-through Pacificas that were so expensive to make they would have had to ask a price that people weren't ready to pay so they dropped the whole thing. It did make some wave among connaisseurs but didn't catch with the larger buying public. They then did something smart: they expanded the line all across the spectrum of people's budget all the way down to begginner's guitars and picked up a few awards for the lowly 112 along the way. No one remembers that "Pacifica" was a prestigious brand at one short lived point but Yamaha doesn't care too much. Here's a thread I started a while back that is a good read on this topic: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2048708-The-Pacifica-riddle&highlight=Jkater+riddle

• Members

HNYGD! That looks virtually identical to my 921. The only difference I can see is that the neck heel on the 921 is indented slightly in a semicircle around the top mounting plate. Anyone know what the differences are other than that?

Oh, and good luck getting the locking hardware for the nut. Assuming it's the same as my 921 it's *not* a standard Floyd- you can get the parts from Yamaha but it's really tough sometimes to figure out what part you need. Check with them as well to get a count- the first time I ordered I thought they came as a set and I got 1

I think the pickups are different, too.

Congrats. Great score. I love my 921.

• Members

I posted about my 712 here in one of the Yammy threads a few years ago. I also posted pics pic of neck joint connection from inside the neck pickup route from my 721 too. They turn up on eBay from time to time on in various conditions. If you blink you might miss one. ;) The 900 series have Dimarzio Pickups. The 700 series have Yamaha equivalents. I have a Pacifica 912 as well BTW.

Archived