Ampeg GVT-15 Update.

kit_strong

• Members

It was just over a month ago that I brought home an Ampeg GVT15 1x12 combo and quickly fell in love. In that time not a day has passed where I haven't spent some time playing through it so I feel I can safely say that this is a fantastic amp for me.

As a quick recap, it's a 15 watt 1x12 tube combo (open backed) with 6v6 Power tubes, 12ax7s in the preamp, spring reverb and FX Loop (both bypassable via standard 2 button footswitch).

The combo version comes stock with a Celestion 70/80 12" driver while the extension cab or 50 watt combos come with V-30s. The 70/80 isn't the most popular Celestion speakers but it works great for me. It's a terribly inefficient speaker (98db sensitivity) but this works to my advantage in that I can actually turn the gain/volume up to around 1:00 and still get living room friendly volumes (especially in 7.5 watt mode).

It's a fairly low gain amp and my low-output single coils barely even push it into breakup but with some hotter pickups or some nice PAF humbuckers it can get great 70s rock tones.

But this lack of drive is definitely not a problem as the amp takes pedals really well. Be it my Gristle King OD, fuzz-face style BBE FRee Fuzz or the super saturated VFE Fiery Red Horse it takes them all with aplomb.

I through together a quick video this morning to try and showcase how well it takes these pedals. I didn't have a lot of time so I just stuck the Zoom Q3 in front of the amp to capture the audio.

Bottom line is that the love affair is far from over.

-Kit

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by poolshark

View Post

Nice. Sounds good, looks cool.

Thanks. I think it's a fantastic amp in the $500-600 price range. I got mine for $499 and the only other amp I was even remotely tempted by was the Blackstar Studio-20 which was also a fine amp but just didn't move me like the Ampeg does.

Archived