Meet the Family! (No Fatties)

honeyiscool

• Members

So I finally got my non-Kitties together for a picture:

53682_10100546477636231_1417798829_o.jpg

Then, of course, I have these two:

331333_10100123194039951_778131571_o.jpg

From top to bottom, left to right:

1. Mustang '73 RI (6 lb 10 oz) - My default guitar and my favorite. Has a Mastery.

2. Squier VM Tele Thinline (7 lb 8 oz) - Gibson scale neck (my favorite), familiar 7.25" Fender radius (also my favorite), DiMarzio Area T pickups (love!).

3. Daisy Rock Retro-H Deluxe (6 lb 8 oz) - Bigsby is awesome, but the slim neck (Gibson scale) is the best thing about this guitar. Lovely mellow sound.

4. Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute (6 lb 9 oz) - Yep, it's lighter than my Mustang and my pink Hello Kitty. Still new but I love it.

5. Squier Hello Kitty Stratocaster, Black (6 lb 7 oz) - A good place to stash my beloved Dragonfire Screamers.

6. Squier Hello Kitty Stratocaster, Pink (6 lb 12 oz) - Seymour Duncan Custom makes it a recording favorite for me. Yes, in the picture, the black one has the SD, but it's been switched since.

And yes, I do play my guitars, I don't just weigh them. In fact, that's why I like them light. Light guitars with slim necks make me happier and willing to play more.

I've been bad at holding onto equipment, but I have a feeling that I'm going to be keeping these guitars for a long time. I feel like I've made zero compromises with any of these guitars and did my research and tried and rejected enough guitars to end up with them. Plus, no Strats! ^.^

• Members

Looks like a solid collection. I'm kind of surprised you flipped the Cobain model so quickly but it looks like a pretty well rounded, if somewhat different, collection to me.
And I'm with you on light guitars. My Warmoth strat is ridiculously light (3.25lb body) and it's definitely my go to guitar anytime I plan on playing standing for an extended period.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong View Post
Looks like a solid collection. I'm kind of surprised you flipped the Cobain model so quickly but it looks like a pretty well rounded, if somewhat different, collection to me.
And I'm with you on light guitars. My Warmoth strat is ridiculously light (3.25lb body) and it's definitely my go to guitar anytime I plan on playing standing for an extended period.
I think so much of that guitar was about half a step away from what I actually wanted. At the end of the day, the only other Mustang I'd need at this point is a stock '65.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
5. Squier Hello Kitty Stratocaster, Black (6 lb 7 oz) - A good place to stash my beloved Dragonfire Screamers.

6. Squier Hello Kitty Stratocaster, Pink (6 lb 12 oz) - Seymour Duncan Custom makes it a recording favorite for me. Yes, in the picture, the black one has the SD, but it's been switched since.

Plus, no Strats! ^.^
icon_lol.gif

• Members

Cool. I used to have a VM Thinline just like yours (except for the pup upgrade), but I bought it to flip, so I didn't have it but a few months. I also used to to have the non-Bigsby version of a Retro-H, which I probably shoulda held onto, as those DR stock mini's were smokin'. It was hot pink and was sold to some parents as a birthday pressie for their daughter, I think she was 12 or so.

• Members

I thought I had read in the past that you played the Hello Kitty strats not because you have an affinity for the branding, but that the neck specs and design met a specific set of criteria for you. But now I see a HK strap and graphic on your other guitars. confused.gif

If you like HK that's fine... I thought you were against the "play 'em to be ironic" mindset.

BTW that Les Paul looks killer! love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
Cool. I used to have a VM Thinline just like yours (except for the pup upgrade), but I bought it to flip, so I didn't have it but a few months. I also used to to have the non-Bigsby version of a Retro-H, which I probably shoulda held onto, as those DR stock mini's were smokin'. It was hot pink and was sold to some parents as a birthday pressie for their daughter, I think she was 12 or so.
I actually love my VM Thinline a lot. When I'm playing it, I just think it's the best spec'd neck I've played. If I ever have a signature guitar, it's going to be a bit on the thin side, 24.75" scale, 7.25" radius, just like this one. And yeah, the Retro-H mini-hums are super nice. I love them. I love how cheap DR guitars are on the resale probably because parents buy them as presents and then people never take up guitar, but really, they're very nice guitars. Mine is $499 new but I got mine with a nice case for $200 total, and that's a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder View Post
I thought I had read in the past that you played the Hello Kitty strats not because you have an affinity for the branding, but that the neck specs and design met a specific set of criteria for you. But now I see a HK strap and graphic on your other guitars. confused.gif

If you like HK that's fine... I thought you were against the "play 'em to be ironic" mindset.

BTW that Les Paul looks killer! love.gif
I don't think playing an HK guitar because you like HK is ironic, but I do mainly like the guitars because of the certain sound and the way they play. They feel very small for being a Strat scale, which I generally don't prefer, and they have a very forward sound that works great for lead tracks, so I record with my pink one a lot. They don't work as great live because I sorta rely on the neck pickup a lot, but they're still crowd pleasers on stage, so I only bring them out when I'm feeling adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by ugameus View Post
the only thing you are missing is one with a full sized neck bucker
Yeah. I've had HH guitars and largely have never needed a neck full humbucker. The minis get close enough for me. smile.gif

Archived