Had my guitar professionally set up, possible problem?

Herptheflerp

• Members

So I took in my Ibanez rg321 in to get my Suhr aldrich pickups installed, which sound awesome. However the guitar tech did a couple things I am unsure of.

He wired my 5 way blade switch differently, he wired it like this

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...vol_1tone_5way

When it was suppose to be wired like this for my ibanez

http://resources.ibanez.com/resource...AYLEV_1V1T.jpg

Also, the intonation seems fine up until the 13th fret, anything beyond the 12th fret is completely {censored}ing out of tune.

Should I be pissed/ask for a refund? Or is this normal for a professional set up?

• Members

Upon further inspection the notes are out of tune pretty much all over the fretboard, they are in tune with each other, but not anywhere near the correct pitch it is supposed to be at.

What the {censored}? Is this normal? I know my guitar is a cheaper model but I'm not sure it should be this bad.

• Members

Seems kinda weak for a fixed-bridge guitar to come back from a 'setup' without the intonation set. It's not like there's all that much else you do for your basic truss rod/nut tweak setup.

Make sure the guitar is properly in tune (and you haven't got new strings which would be stretching in a little as you play) before calling buddy up, but call buddy up just the same. Although, this might be the divine trying to tell you that a long phillips screwdriver and a short trip down Google to a DIY article for setting intonation could be the way to go instead of continually throwing your money away at 'techs'.

• Members

Neither of those links works for me. Anyone else?

Also, not every note will be in tune according to your tuner; fretted instruments are tempered, it's a compromise. Does it actually sound out of tune? Don't just look at little green and red LEDs and then complain to the guy.

• Members

If everything was fine with the guitar before you brought it in= had no fretting out playing in the upper register and guitar stayed in tune just bring it back. Also act like you have been through this before and tell the guy you figured that it was the newness of the strings but now also realize the guitar is fretting out. This is in no way what you are to expect after a pro set up as your ax should be playing smooth as silk. On the flipside a lot of guys who call themselves tech's today can barely change a set of strings. Seriously ask around who does the best work in your area and not who is conveniently the closest.

• Members

Sounds to me like he set it up for his touch and your touch is heavier or lighter than his. A good tech has to take into account the player's touch, or the guitar will just end up as you describe it. This is especially true of you have big, tall frets. You might be squashing them in between the frets and making them all sharp, while he's caressing them. Or vice versa.

• Members

Sounds to me like he set it up for his touch and your touch is heavier or lighter than his. A good tech has to take into account the player's touch, or the guitar will just end up as you describe it. This is especially true of you have big, tall frets. You might be squashing them in between the frets and making them all sharp, while he's caressing them. Or vice versa.

Good points. A player's touch or pressure when he frets is crucial. Techs are a necessary evil. I'll do basic stuff but truss rod and fret work is out of my league. I almost ALWAYs have repeated trips back until it's "right".

• Members

This is why I do my own setups. I will do electronics, truss rod, intonation, action, etc. I draw the line at finish work, frets, and wood repair. It would be well worth your time to try your hand at intonation at bare minimum. It's hard to do any real damage to your guitar. Truss rods are easy but you need to make minimal adjustments. The biggest danger in electronics is getting components too hot; specifically blade style switches. They can become brittle and break. In my early days I did goofy things to pots as well; like the coating burned off or something.

You can do it, hoss. Just take your time and do it right.

Archived