DVD guitar lessons

burton4snow

• Members

I've learned some good stuff from some of the Song Xpress videos HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

they are not consistent.

Some are somewhat detailed, but never 100% complete, but can really indeed get you quite a way into the song, other's, for example their tutorial on Cocaine, is nothing more than the basic chord progression. But I still think most of them are worth it since they are cheaper and more detailed than what you'd get out of a guitar lesson. The one that is mostly a SRV cover is definitely worth it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Snappy Hat View Post
Just avoid any of the "in the style of " with Curt Mitchell. Those are horrible and inferior to most
of whats out there. Also you ever searched for guitar lessons in youtube? Tons, hours of lessons.
Yeah, seems like I've been learning a fair amount off of YT vids these days.

Example, I fairly recently learned a very reasonable cover of Neil Young's "Old Man" by watching this one.

It was his demonstrations of the hammer-ons used in each chord that I found particularly instructive.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
Yeah, seems like I've been learning a fair amount off of YT vids these days.

Example, I fairly recently learned a very reasonable cover of Neil Young's "Old Man" by watching this one.

It was his demonstrations of the hammer-ons used in each chord that I found particularly instructive.

I wish I had youtube when I was a kid and starting out learning. I couldnt afford a teacher
and was self taught for 15 years.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by burton4snow View Post
What about Marty Shwartz?
Marty cracks me up, love that guy. He also plays the riff before he starts yakking which I like.
I hate the ones with people yakking for minutes before you get to hear wth they are going to show you.
Then you dont even want to learn that riff but you wasted the time waiting to hear it. God I hate that.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Snappy Hat View Post
Marty cracks me up, love that guy. He also plays the riff before he starts yakking which I like.
I hate the ones with people yakking for minutes before you get to hear wth they are going to show you.
Then you dont even want to learn that riff but you wasted the time waiting to hear it. God I hate that.
+1

• Members

I've used this one with success. I looked at a number of them before I settled on this one. It is very professional and will get you to a very good intermediate player in a year if you stick to the program. It surprised me how easy it was to learn to read music. You will never want to use guitar tabs again.

www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/order-now/

• Members

I own over 100 DVD's and VHS tapes from the 80's to the present and some are great and some suck lol.These days I basically buy DVD's that center around theory and modal interplay or a genre like country that I am not well versed in. As far as sites go Licklibrary is my favorite but as stated they do not use tab but more of a number system so if you are not very sharp on the fretboard in knowing your notes it can slow you down a tad, but they probably have the most gifted instructors on the planet with players like Guthrie Govan, Dave Kilminster, Andy James, Mike Casswell and Danny Gill. An excellent site you may also like is www.trufire.com, the Sweet Notes concept will keep you busy for a year or better. I really dug that one as it teaches you how to play more arpeggio based then scale based lines and how to think of targeting scale tones and playing through the changes, knowing what you are doing instead of playing a scale blindly and hoping you land on your feet.

• Members

i have 2
'learn country guitar techniques' by steve trovato its basically a primer on Albert Lee style, I learned some cool licks from it. The other is Danny Gatton Telemaster which I learned nothing from. The Danny Gatton licks and tricks is much better but out of print. Its on YouTube though in 8 parts.

i used to have a robin trower one on VHS, that was pretty good. Its from the late 1980s-early 90s.

there is so much on youtube though I dont know if you need anything else.

i found this recently its a mish mash of several videos. some good stuff in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRrRL5KWtCw

• Members

Although I already stated above that YT does have a wealth of good vids, it's also got its fair share of {censored}e.

Sometimes it gets annoying starting to watch those vids, and as mentioned above, there's often too much blah blah blah, before they start showing the actual instruction and then when they finally get into it, you realize its some alternate key (from the original) or some other crude or bastardized version that is useless to you, and then you get that "that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back" feeling. But it's still a fairly convenient format for lessons.

It would be cool if we had a sticky thread (maybe there already is one) where we could post good YT vid instructions. Ones that we've found that are really helpful. But it would have to have a "no embedding" rule, because some of our threads that are all videos (like the one recently of "show us your playing") had so many imbeds on it that it would freeze up my PC just by trying to open it.

Just a thought. But when I find a good one, I add it to my favorites either on my Mozilla page or on YT itself.

Archived