I played a stand up bass today for about an hour and a half...

wagdog

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
And I will never, ever, complain about the action on an electric guitar again.

What a blast though, always wanted to try one. Dude had one at a jam today and let me play it. Scale length was, um, LONG, lol.
I've played a lot of electric bass, but a few years ago I had to start practicing standup bass to be prepared as a sub for a regular gig I did on guitar. It was a painful couple of weeks for my left hand. Never got the call, but I felt good I could rip through a couple of four chord Norwegian folk tunes and be almost in pitch most of the time. If I had more free time and money I'd definitely buy one and practice.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
Scale length was, um, LONG, lol.
I used to play one in a band 20+ years ago...I'm not the best guitarist by any means but I was shocked at how easy the stand up bass was for me(I started as a bassist).

This is probably why I just don't get it when people freak out about having to play a guitar with different scale length or neck shape/size biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky

View Post

i tried to play one. once. could make no sounds that approached music.

lol, yeah, it was definitely not easy to play. I played mostly a 1 5 kinda country thing, with an occasional attempt at some walking/passing/chromatic notes that sounded more like a bowling ball rolling down a short flight of stairs.

Archived