Maxi love for mini humbuckers - the minihums love thread

Minnie The Moocher

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by JRicoC

View Post

I have a guitar with stock mini humbuckers, but I don't understand the point of them other than for retrofits. Isn't a good mini supposed to sound like a full-sized model?

not really. they have thier own unique sound. More like a low output humbucker, but with a more focused or tight sound, and some chime.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JRicoC

View Post

I have a guitar with stock mini humbuckers, but I don't understand the point of them other than for retrofits. Isn't a good mini supposed to sound like a full-sized model?

not really. they have thier own unique sound. More like a low output humbucker, but with a more focused or tight sound, and some chime.

• Members

I've got 3

the 70s Trib SG
a Firebird V (which I've neglected - it's soooooo big) frown.gif

And my Epi Worn '66 Wilshire

To me that Epi was my biggest surprise. Not much pedigree in it coming from Indonesia, made with a scarfed headstock, etc, but I really like its tone. I've seen a disappointing comment here about its mini-hums, but I think they sound quite good, IMO, best p'ups I've heard from Epiphone so far. thumb.gif

The only Epiphone issue I've had with that guitar is premature failure with the input jack, so I've got to get in there and see if I can bend the tang to get it to work, or maybe just bite the bullet and get a new one installed, but yeah, that guitar is going nowhere soon. wink.gif

IMG_0054.jpg
Now the Ltd Pro on the left has the more typical "bleh" sounding Epi p'ups. Someday to be replaced with GFS Hot Liverpools.

• Members

I've got 3

the 70s Trib SG
a Firebird V (which I've neglected - it's soooooo big) frown.gif

And my Epi Worn '66 Wilshire

To me that Epi was my biggest surprise. Not much pedigree in it coming from Indonesia, made with a scarfed headstock, etc, but I really like its tone. I've seen a disappointing comment here about its mini-hums, but I think they sound quite good, IMO, best p'ups I've heard from Epiphone so far. thumb.gif

The only Epiphone issue I've had with that guitar is premature failure with the input jack, so I've got to get in there and see if I can bend the tang to get it to work, or maybe just bite the bullet and get a new one installed, but yeah, that guitar is going nowhere soon. wink.gif

IMG_0054.jpg
Now the Ltd Pro on the left has the more typical "bleh" sounding Epi p'ups. Someday to be replaced with GFS Hot Liverpools.

Archived