Marco Krijger's Backlund Marz 6 build project. The bridge...

John Backlund

• Members

Marco has been busy fabricating a special string-through bridge for the Marz 6project. In order to make a bridge that fits underneath the unusual bridge cover I had designed into the guitar, he has had to use some imagination to come up with something that didn't compromise the offbeat design and stayed faithful to the original concept.

To briefly recap.....the original concept art for the Backlund Marz 6 guitar...
158996_tbYs8i0bdOhTk34gYeNaRO9bk-1-1.jpg

Marco Krijger's Marz 6 build project so far...
MarcosMarz63.jpg

The old saying: 'The Devil is in the details' certainly applies to some of my guitar designs. From ten feet away, outside of it's unorthodox form, it might appear to be just another guitar with some funny lines, but making it 'work' in the real world is often not so easy, as Bruce Bennett is painfully aware of as he's worked hard to turn several 'Backlund concepts' into quality, playable instruments. The Marz 6 bridge cover is a fine example of that, making the function match the form as the builder finds a way to put a workable bridge within the confines of a smallish piece of what is essentially cosmetic fluff.

Here is a recent photo update on the guitar's progress...the bridge..
Marcos:"I started with a piece of 3mm thick (aprox 0.12 inch) stainless steel.
Drilling the holes"
DSC_0821.jpg

Cutting, shaping, and polishing...
DSC_0826.jpg

DSC_0829.jpg

• Members
DSC_0836.jpg

DSC_0837.jpg

Polishing the brass barrels...
DSC_0842.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

The finished Krijger Marz 6 Bridge..
DSC_0859.jpg

The bridge positioned underneath a rough prototype Marz bridge cover....kind of a shame to hide this beautiful piece of work beneath it...
DSC_0862.jpg

Marco said that next, he is going to fabricate a finished bridge cover in stainless steel, I assume from thin sheet material.

Archived