Convince me to get a VOX AC15C1

spacequixote

• Members

I'm strongly considering upgrading from my AC4TV and am drawn to the tone and additional features of the AC15C1. For those that have more experience with it, I have a few questions:

1. Currently I only play/record at home, but would like to have a "gig-able" amp just in case the opportunity arises. I realize this amp is probably overkill for my current needs, but can you get a useful tone at low enough volumes not to upset the neighbors with the master volume?

2. I know a lot of people like to do the bright cap mod (removing two capacitors that add top end) to make the top boost channel play better with pedals. I can see why this was necessary on the AC15CC, but doesn't the "tone cut" on the AC15C1 achieve the same thing? It seems like plenty of people still do it on this amp, so there must be more to it.

3. Related to my second question, I've heard plenty of bad rap regarding VOX's with TS-style pedals and some fuzzes. My main dirt pedals are a big muff pi w/ tone wicker and a TS-9 (with 808 mod). Will the bright mod help with that? I'm also considering replacing the muff with a germanium fuzz face. How does it take pedals, in your experience?

• Members

I have the CC with an Alnico Blue, but I've spent a lot of time with the C1 at shops. They're not wildly different. My AC30 has the tone cut also, so I am familiar with how that works. The Blue and the Greenback are quite different, but I'll try to help anyway.

With my amp, you can certainly use it to get good sounds at reasonably low levels. The tone cut at 12 o'clock is like my AC15. They work beautifully with TS-style pedals and fuzzes (Big Muff included), but don't pair particularly well with some distortion pedals, such as some heavy metal pedals and the like. They are fantastic amps, and if you like that vibe, definitely try to get that amp. They are also perfectly giggable - it helps to elevate them, though.

• Members

I just got rid of mine. If you're not gigging, it isn't really needed. But if you are, I'd say this is one of the best 15w tube amps out there. Give the Blues Jr. A try too, similar amp with a different sound. I just picked up a Texas Red edition. I love it.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback so far. Obviously I'd mainly be buying it for the VOX sound (which I'm familiar with from similar amps and trying some at the store), but I'm wondering how versatile it is. I don't need it to do metal of course, but occasionally I'd like to venture into Eric Johnson or David Gilmour type lead tones. Neither of them use VOX's for lead tones as far as I know, and I'm not concerned with nailing either tone exactly, but I'm hoping to at least get into that territory with the right pedals...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
I don't think Voxes will even get close to that kind of sound, honestly. A Fender will fit you better if you want that kind of thing. IMO.
Great minds lol...

I left this page up and posted my response without seeing yours biggrin.gif

• Members

1. Yes, you can get useful tone at low volume. That's what that Master Volume knob is for. I wouldn't buy a big amp without one. It is true that a fully cranked Vox will sound better than one which is being held back by a Master Volume knob, but we live in a society that has other people. You can not fully crank an AC30 or AC15 unless you want to go to jail for disturbing the peace. It is because of that reason VOX introduced the Master Volume knobs onto their big amps. When the MV knob is in use the tone isn't pure Vox cranked, but it is still a fantastic Vox tone.

2. Forget the bright cap mod. Why would you perform major surgery on your amp to make it sound like something it is not? You buy a Vox because you want the Vox tone. If you want a different tone - one that clips off the high end by performing some mod on it - then just buy a different brand.

3. Same thing regarding pedals. Why the hell would you plug in a "Grunge" pedal into a Vox amp? You buy a Vox amp because you want the Vox tone. Leave the pedals for cheap amps that have no personality of their own. Only pedal one could use with a Vox is a delay. That's it. And it takes them just fine. You can also just use an EQ pedal with a level slider as a boost for a Vox. The signal with the level up hits the pre-amp tubes hard and sends your Vox into amazing overdrive. There is no need for TubeScreamers or Big Muffs or Grunge pedals with a Vox. It's natural distortion (especially when hit hard with an EQ pedal) is amazing.

Listen, just forget your mods, forget your pedals. You are buying a Vox amp. It gives you fantastic cleans and when you crank it (even with the Master Volume) you get incredible dirt and grit.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by taxerman View Post
Listen, just forget your mods, forget your pedals. You are buying a Vox amp. It gives you fantastic cleans and when you crank it (even with the Master Volume) you get incredible dirt and grit.
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
I don't think Voxes will even get close to that kind of sound, honestly. A Fender will fit you better if you want that kind of thing. IMO.
Well, 99% of the time I do love the vox sound, and I haven't been impressed by most Fender amps I've tried by comparison, at least plugging straight in without pedals. Right now I usually either plug straight into my AC4 for a "vintage" edge-of-breakup tone, or record through a Roland Micro Cube with some pedals for modern and lead tones (which actually sounds great for recording, as long as you don't depend on the crappy speaker IMO). I was hoping the AC15 could do a bit of both (I'm not one to have tons of amps around at this point), but it sounds like I shouldn't expect the vox to be a one-size-fits-all solution, but I could be ok with that. I don't use the muff and other pedals often, but sometimes I got to have it for sustaining, heavy leads. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Quote Originally Posted by taxerman View Post
Forget the bright cap mod. Why would you perform major surgery on your amp to make it sound like something it is not? You buy a Vox because you want the Vox tone. If you want a different tone - one that clips off the high end by performing some mod on it - then just buy a different brand.
I was under the impression that all it is was to remove to caps that were not even part of the original AC15 circuit. People who did it seem to like it, but I hear you - "if it ain't broke don't fix it." So far I've been liking the amp from the limited experience I've had with it. Thanks for the input!

• Members

While I'm no expert on Vox, I use a 22 watt tube amp for home use (BugeraV22) and believe it sounds way better than any small tube even at low volumes. I would get a larger tube amp whatever you decide.

PS I have a Vox night train 212 cab I use with it as well, the wife loves it! lol

• Members

I've got one, and it's the best amp I've ever owned (Marshalls, Oranges, Fenders and Matamps in my past...). To deal with your points:

1) Sounds great at low volume, and I was really impressed how good the cleans are.
2) Bright cap mod is worth doing, definitely makes it play nicer with overdrives and distortions.
3) I use millions of pedals, muffs included, and they sound great through it. Especially good are Rats and the Crowther Hotcake.

Archived