Looking for recommendations for a non-Fender Tele Style guitar

BrammyH

• Members

hngdx2.jpg

Here is my very first full on partscasters I built a couple of years ago on the left (been modding for years). Running the numbers in my head I spent around $350 in the first config ($100 allparts neck, $60 ebay body, $60 gfs pups, tung oil finish body and neck). Lot of elbow grease into a forearm contour and belly cut (also routed the back edge to a larger strat radius and used a countoured heel plate).

I have since changed the pups to BG pure 90 and rockwind and that is how it has been since.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Davo17

View Post

wow all look good but thatc cab rocls! is it as useful as a tele...tone wise?

The La Cab has a TV Jones Powertron Plus which is very powerful. I also gave it a 500k volume pot and a 300k tone pot with an expensive paper in oil .022mfd cap, so I can get lots of different tones just using the pots. It sounds amazing thru my Boogie Mark V. With an amp like that, you don't miss the neck pickup at all.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Davo17

View Post

wow all look good but thatc cab rocls! is it as useful as a tele...tone wise?

The La Cab has a TV Jones Powertron Plus which is very powerful. I also gave it a 500k volume pot and a 300k tone pot with an expensive paper in oil .022mfd cap, so I can get lots of different tones just using the pots. It sounds amazing thru my Boogie Mark V. With an amp like that, you don't miss the neck pickup at all.

• Members

You might want to take a look at the Godin Session Custom. It's got a neck humbucker and a single coil bridge but with a 5-way switch so humbucker splits. This way you get the best of both worlds, two single coils + the humbucker. It's purdy too.

Session Custom

This is a guitar with tonal versatility that's right at home playing a multitude of styles of music. From alternative-rock, blues to country, the Session Custom is packed full of features and is ready to take center stage.

It features a Canadian basswood body, rock maple neck with maple or rosewood fingerboard, the Godin High-Definition Revoicer and the Godin Tru-Loc Tremolo system which allows players to regulate their own trem arm placement into a personal Custom Comfort Zone. The Session Custom features a beefy Godin Humbucker in the neck and the sweet Godin 'Custom Cajun' single-coil pickup in the bridge for added vintage punch & bite. All of which are housed in a classic single cutaway body design and controlled via a 5-way switch, 1x volume and 1x tone knob.

Godin Tru-Loc Trem system

Allows a player to regulate Tremolo Arm placement via a simple allen key adjustment, which locks the arm into a personal Custom Comfort Zone. Arm stays firm & true while offering smooth & full mobility within players Custom Comfort Zone.

H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer

The H.D.R. revoices and augments the frequency range of each pickup and allows the player to go from passive to active pickups

with the simple push of a button.

Th H.D.R. provides extra bite, dynamic response and redefines the

character of each pickup. It

• Members

You might want to take a look at the Godin Session Custom. It's got a neck humbucker and a single coil bridge but with a 5-way switch so humbucker splits. This way you get the best of both worlds, two single coils + the humbucker. It's purdy too.

Session Custom

This is a guitar with tonal versatility that's right at home playing a multitude of styles of music. From alternative-rock, blues to country, the Session Custom is packed full of features and is ready to take center stage.

It features a Canadian basswood body, rock maple neck with maple or rosewood fingerboard, the Godin High-Definition Revoicer and the Godin Tru-Loc Tremolo system which allows players to regulate their own trem arm placement into a personal Custom Comfort Zone. The Session Custom features a beefy Godin Humbucker in the neck and the sweet Godin 'Custom Cajun' single-coil pickup in the bridge for added vintage punch & bite. All of which are housed in a classic single cutaway body design and controlled via a 5-way switch, 1x volume and 1x tone knob.

Godin Tru-Loc Trem system

Allows a player to regulate Tremolo Arm placement via a simple allen key adjustment, which locks the arm into a personal Custom Comfort Zone. Arm stays firm & true while offering smooth & full mobility within players Custom Comfort Zone.

H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer

The H.D.R. revoices and augments the frequency range of each pickup and allows the player to go from passive to active pickups

with the simple push of a button.

Th H.D.R. provides extra bite, dynamic response and redefines the

character of each pickup. It

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll go the parts caster route.

Turns out the SO has approved a budget request for a new amp (my Peavy Vypyr 75 lacks balls) so ill be getting a practice/gigging amp first. Thinking a DSL 15 head.

• Members

Turns out the SO has approved a budget request for a new amp (my Peavy Vypyr 75 lacks balls) so ill be getting a practice/gigging amp first. Thinking a DSL 15 head.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrammyH

View Post

I love my 2000 DSL 401. Make sure you check out the Tubemeister 18. If the speaker in your Vypyr is decent, you could get the head and use the Vypyr as a cab until you save up for the matching cab ($300).

DV016_Jpg_Large_H79232_front.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrammyH

View Post

I love my 2000 DSL 401. Make sure you check out the Tubemeister 18. If the speaker in your Vypyr is decent, you could get the head and use the Vypyr as a cab until you save up for the matching cab ($300).

DV016_Jpg_Large_H79232_front.jpg

• Members

Here's another great setup for $650--Egnater Tweaker 15 with cab.

DV016_Jpg_Large_424080_R.jpg

The cab comes with a nice speaker too:

DV016_Jpg_Large_424080_speaker_detail.jp

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Marshall. I love he DSL Series. But try some others if you can. Amps are more important in shaping you tone, IMO, than guitars. If you don't have a guitar with humbuckers, make sure the tele that you build has one in the neck position if you're looking at Marshall style amps.

• Members

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Marshall. I love he DSL Series. But try some others if you can. Amps are more important in shaping you tone, IMO, than guitars. If you don't have a guitar with humbuckers, make sure the tele that you build has one in the neck position if you're looking at Marshall style amps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

a baja tele does a break bucker impression as well...and sounds awesome with marshalls.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

a baja tele does a break bucker impression as well...and sounds awesome with marshalls.

Archived