Richie...

budalash

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen

View Post

I think you're way off, onelife. Yngwie sounds totally different from Blackmore, and one of the things that makes his playing stand out from most other technical '80s marvels is his soulfulness and the underlying blues feel. Yngwie copied Blackmore's moves and the odd riff, but has a very different approach to lead playing. I hear more Ulrich Roth than Blackmore in his lines, and he's still far from being a clone of either.

I pretty much agree with this. Yngwie is very lyrical and passionate, but for some reason people put him in the same category with the likes of Impelitteri and M.A. Batio. Could be his personality...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

I think you're way off, onelife. Yngwie sounds totally different from Blackmore, and one of the things that makes his playing stand out from most other technical '80s marvels is his soulfulness and the underlying blues feel. Yngwie copied Blackmore's moves and the odd riff, but has a very different approach to lead playing. I hear more Ulrich Roth than Blackmore in his lines, and he's still far from being a clone of either.

I pretty much agree with this. Yngwie is very lyrical and passionate, but for some reason people put him in the same category with the likes of Impelitteri and M.A. Batio. Could be his personality...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by budalash

View Post

I just don't get his stuff - but then again I get off on the space and hesitation that BB King leaves in between the notes he plays. I gave Malmsteen several good listens because all my friends, knowing I was a Blackmore fan, kept bringing me his stuff as it came out - I really tried hard to like it because IMO he is a very good guitar player,

My central nervous system responds to certain types of music and that is what motivates me to play - it started with Clapton's work on the White Album and Blackmore epitomizes it for me which is why, if I was asked to pick a single favorite it would be Ritchie.

This has nothing to do with the (non-musical) personality of the players mentioned since I listened to all of these guys long before I knew anything about them.

• Members

View Post

I just don't get his stuff - but then again I get off on the space and hesitation that BB King leaves in between the notes he plays. I gave Malmsteen several good listens because all my friends, knowing I was a Blackmore fan, kept bringing me his stuff as it came out - I really tried hard to like it because IMO he is a very good guitar player,

My central nervous system responds to certain types of music and that is what motivates me to play - it started with Clapton's work on the White Album and Blackmore epitomizes it for me which is why, if I was asked to pick a single favorite it would be Ritchie.

This has nothing to do with the (non-musical) personality of the players mentioned since I listened to all of these guys long before I knew anything about them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by onelife

View Post

You may be right - please let me try and explain it better with this example.

Here is a pretty lame euro-pop tune by Ritchie and his wife but when he comes in with the solo, I get shivers up my back - I don't get anything like that at all from Yngwie. Although I respect him as a player, his music does not move me in the way that Ritchie's does.

(solo about two and a half min in)

Oh, I get that more often from Ritchie, sure, but Yngwie's playing moves me in a different way. When I hear those speedy flurries of notes ending in one screaming bend after another, that gives me chills because of the intensity. Like "Dreaming" from the Leningrad video. Cheesy, but dramatic and engaging. Not all of his stuff does this, of course, and it's the same with Ritchie. In fact, I think his playing for the most part of the '80s was subpar compared to what he did the previous decade, especially live. He let his playing go, and was more into posing for the crowd than playing blistering lead guitar. Some of the 'noise solos' he did during the '85 tour are downright embarrassing.

He got better in the '90s, thankfully, even though his musical judgment kinda took a dive with Blackmore's Night's increasingly 'renaissance Enya' approach. I dig the older elements, I dig good pop, but I don't dig that lightweight hodgepodge Ritchie and the missus have been doing for more than a decade now. His playing's phenomenal, both electric and acoustic, it's just a shame the musical setting is so daft.

This is an unnecessary remake, but his leads are delightful:

Another cheesy remake, once again saved by the leads:

And of course the one where Ritchie Blackmore covers Rednex:

(at least it wasn't "Cotton Eye Joe"...)

• Members

View Post

You may be right - please let me try and explain it better with this example.

Here is a pretty lame euro-pop tune by Ritchie and his wife but when he comes in with the solo, I get shivers up my back - I don't get anything like that at all from Yngwie. Although I respect him as a player, his music does not move me in the way that Ritchie's does.

(solo about two and a half min in)

Oh, I get that more often from Ritchie, sure, but Yngwie's playing moves me in a different way. When I hear those speedy flurries of notes ending in one screaming bend after another, that gives me chills because of the intensity. Like "Dreaming" from the Leningrad video. Cheesy, but dramatic and engaging. Not all of his stuff does this, of course, and it's the same with Ritchie. In fact, I think his playing for the most part of the '80s was subpar compared to what he did the previous decade, especially live. He let his playing go, and was more into posing for the crowd than playing blistering lead guitar. Some of the 'noise solos' he did during the '85 tour are downright embarrassing.

He got better in the '90s, thankfully, even though his musical judgment kinda took a dive with Blackmore's Night's increasingly 'renaissance Enya' approach. I dig the older elements, I dig good pop, but I don't dig that lightweight hodgepodge Ritchie and the missus have been doing for more than a decade now. His playing's phenomenal, both electric and acoustic, it's just a shame the musical setting is so daft.

This is an unnecessary remake, but his leads are delightful:

Another cheesy remake, once again saved by the leads:

And of course the one where Ritchie Blackmore covers Rednex:

(at least it wasn't "Cotton Eye Joe"...)

• Members

View Post

I understand, because this is exactly how I feel about Clapton smile.gif I never understood the hype and I've been trying to like him for 20 years, but I just can't! But apparently it's blasphemy to be playing electric guitar and not like Clapton, so I keep quiet about it wink.gif

• Members

View Post

I understand, because this is exactly how I feel about Clapton smile.gif I never understood the hype and I've been trying to like him for 20 years, but I just can't! But apparently it's blasphemy to be playing electric guitar and not like Clapton, so I keep quiet about it wink.gif

I like Clapton with John Mayalls Bluesbreakers and Cream..but that's it. Can't stand his later output. His early stuff had fire and he does have a wicked vibrato which is worth studying.

As far as Yngwie goes, I agree with Yngtchie smile.gif..I always hear more Uli Roth when listening to Yngwie.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scott944

View Post

Not hard to see where Mr Van Halen got his inspiration. Good stuff.

Or yngwie, or Roger Fisher, or about a thousand other big time guitarists - not to mention millions of not so famous players.

I love that particular clip. Richie 'says' more in that short blues segment than most blues players manage in an entire concert.

• Members

View Post

I find that Clapton basically regurgitates BB, Albert and Fredie but he adds an emotional element to it and the notes just become the carrier for the emotion. Some people are sensitive to what he adds and some are not (I think the heavy use of LSD in the late 60s helped listeners "tune in" which led to the "Clapton is God" sentiment).

For those who get it Clapton is great and for those who don't, he's just a (famous and very successful)) pentatonic wanker.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mosiddiqi

View Post

As far as Yngwie goes, I agree with Yngtchie smile.gif..I always hear more Uli Roth when listening to Yngwie.

I reckon one of the best ways of telling that Yngwie didn't try to imitate Blackmore is listening to him playing Blackmore tunes, because unless he's paying tribute to Blackmore by covering the solo (which he's done with "Smoke on the Water" and "Highway Star" on some occasions), he plays his own solos and licks. Two examples that I'm particularly fond of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWP66X0I52M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cph14uMnolI

Not all his covers are equally great, tho. Some are marred by overplaying or unfortunate arrangements, but there are gems.

• Members

View Post

I find that Clapton basically regurgitates BB, Albert and Fredie but he adds an emotional element to it and the notes just become the carrier for the emotion. Some people are sensitive to what he adds and some are not (I think the heavy use of LSD in the late 60s helped listeners "tune in" which led to the "Clapton is God" sentiment).

For those who get it Clapton is great and for those who don't, he's just a (famous and very successful)) pentatonic wanker.

Exactly...but the same goes for SRV. When they asked him about his gig with Bowie, he said he just listened to the songs and tried to insert as many Freddie King licks as he could smile.gif Yet I love SRV, I love the sound, the passion, the choice of notes, everything. Simply put, I get goose bumps when listening to him, which I cannot say about Clapton. The phrase pentatonic wanker sounds very good to me in his case smile.gif

• Members

View Post

...what a character. I've been drinking Jack all night playing along to the stuff that made me pick up the guitar almost 20 years ago. I absolutely love everything about this guy and he's about the only living guitar player I'd like to have a beer with. OK, and Allan Holdsworth too...

ps Impossible to switch from neck to bridge in A gypsy's kiss (2:14-2:34) but OK, he overdubbed it and they never played it live. I finally gave up after 1 hour of trying. The licks are not difficult but the position switch was driving me crazy. And then, in the spirit of George Constanza I gave up...Because I'm a quitter...I come from a line of quitters...icon_lol.gif

pps My apologies if I come across a bit crazy, it's the booze smile.gif Cheers everyone!

Love him and at times he is the only reason I play guitar. It's the whole package. I have got to have a beer a couple of times with AH and he is still a hero but i keep coming back to the man in black. Him and Page just make me happy and glad I play guitar.

• Members

View Post

Clapton gets a lot of criticism for being a '60s survivor who shifted his focus from heavy guitar heroics to middle-of-the-road adult contemporary pop rock. That criticism isn't undeserved, but his achievements as a guitarist are undeniable, and any fan of Hendrix or Page would be a damn fool to ignore Clapton at his best. He was Hendrix's equal as a heavy blues improviser, and could rock with the best of them during his stint with Cream. Hell, he didn't lose it in the early 1970s either, which this '85 bootleg proves:

If that's pentatonic wankery, you simply don't like the pentatonic scale in music.

• Members

View Post

I reckon one of the best ways of telling that Yngwie didn't try to imitate Blackmore is listening to him playing Blackmore tunes, because unless he's paying tribute to Blackmore by covering the solo (which he's done with "Smoke on the Water" and "Highway Star" on some occasions), he plays his own solos and licks. Two examples that I'm particularly fond of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWP66X0I52M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cph14uMnolI

Not all his covers are equally great, tho. Some are marred by overplaying or unfortunate arrangements, but there are gems.

Yeah, those are both love.gif..Yngwie's vibrato is just beautiful..so musical. I've been revisiting "Down to Earth" recently..I love it, it's got a unique feel throughout and some absolutely cracking songs.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingrat

View Post

+1. Mo IS the Blackmore of HC.

redface.gif There's a few of us thankfully ..smile.gif

• Members

View Post

There is a reissue of DP's Slave And Masters coming out soon. I know JLT is not loved by most but RB's playing on that album is awesome.

I didn't know a reissue was due, thanks! Love Ritchie's playing on it...

• Members

View Post

There is a reissue of DP's Slave And Masters coming out soon. I know JLT is not loved by most but RB's playing on that album is awesome.

Joe's singing on "Fire in the Basement" ranks among his best performances. His smooth balladeering is what most are familiar with, but that guy's got some of the rawest rock pipes on the planet when the mood strikes him. Can't blame him that the Purple lads couldn't muster a stronger set of songs (or production) when he came on board. Still, talent and versatility aside, his voice didn't sound right in Deep Purple, and I'm glad they brought back Gillan, even with only half the power and range compared to his '70s heyday.

• Members

View Post

Joe's singing on "Fire in the Basement" ranks among his best performances. His smooth balladeering is what most are familiar with, but that guy's got some of the rawest rock pipes on the planet when the mood strikes him. Can't blame him that the Purple lads couldn't muster a stronger set of songs (or production) when he came on board. Still, talent and versatility aside, his voice didn't sound right in Deep Purple, and I'm glad they brought back Gillan, even with only half the power and range compared to his '70s heyday.

Yeah, it's a shame Ritchie hated his guts smile.gif Black Knight is a great book on Ritchie, I highly recommend it...

Archived