What's Your Strap or Strap Lock Solution For A Heavy Les Paul?

dughaze

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
This - Dunlop straploks and a planet waves wide strap. Guitar is pushing 11 pounds and it works great.

ar_strap.jpg
I don't like the leverage added by the strap lock sticking out that far on such a small bit of wood.

Those old Artists are great Les Paul style guitars - Ibanez was really trying to prove something when they built them.

• Members

I like Dunlop locks, and I always fill the old button hole before I istall the locking ones. I've heard of Dunlop locks failing, but that is generally because you are supposed to lube them every once in a while, and people rarely do. I put them on my main player and main gigging guit in 2006. I oil lightly every string change, and it's still going strong.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene View Post
I use luggage straps as guitar straps and I use canvas key chains as strap locks. You can buy them at Lowe's or Home Depot

LT_acs_strap_1_zoom.jpg

Agile_3100_HSB_Strap_00.jpg

Agile_3100_HSB_Strap_02.jpg

Used these for years with no issues

That's a pretty cool idea. Very slick.

• Members

The strap I use for my Les Pauls is a Levy's M4. It's 3.5" wide, with a suede back. I love it. (Mine is brown, but they also come in black.)

M4Brn.jpg

And for the strap lock solution, I've used Grolsch rubber washers for a few years now and they are tremendous. You buy some beer and you get the strap locks for free. Not a bad deal. They're perfect for Gibson strap buttons, because it takes just enough effort to get on and off to tell you it's not going to fail.

This pic isn't mine, but here's an idea of what it looks like when it's on the guitar.

34716d1257795696t-why-my-straplock-screw

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Neotech Mega Ax Strap works great with heavy guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...e-guitar-strap

DV016_Jpg_Large_367527.jpg
Just got one for my LP, it really makes a hell of a difference. I must admit to being a cynic, but the stretchiness really seems to take pounds off a guitar, probably it doesn't just spread the load, it's a real shock absorber too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by =JL=

View Post

Just got one for my LP, it really makes a hell of a difference. I must admit to being a cynic, but the stretchiness really seems to take pounds off a guitar, probably it doesn't just spread the load, it's a real shock absorber too.

Some reviews said this strap was too long????

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JTEES4 View Post
I developed back problems over the years.
My first solution to my heavy LP was to get an SG.
My next solution was to get a Hohner G2T.
My final solution ...is my recently acquired Parker Fly Deluxe...4.5 pounds.
Sounds like you are a chronic guitar buyer like the rest of us...

You should have just bought a chair...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dughaze

View Post

Some reviews said this strap was too long????

Yes, it was for me. I cut three inches off mine with a craft knife. I borrowed a hole punch too, but it really is amazingly comfortable now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Due to some wrist pain, I recently started wearing my guitars higher. No problem with the Mega Axe strap. I can check on the length when I get home, but I don't recall any issues in that regard.
I checked. I don't have any problems, but I realize this is dependent on what guitar is being used and a person's build.

With that said, I believe the Mega Bass strap is the exact same as the Mega Axe strap except shorter. The Neotech site lists the Axe strap as 48" to 58" and the Bass strap as 43" to 53". Another option is the Super Axe strap, but I prefer the extra width of the Mega series.

http://neotechstraps.com/mega-strap.html

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene View Post
Sounds like you are a chronic guitar buyer like the rest of us...

You should have just bought a chair...

You chair thing wouldn't give me an excuse to keep buying guitars, so please don't mention it to the wifewink.gif As far as the chronic buying, yes and no...I was a chronic buyer for years...but now I've become a chronic buyer AND seller, and I've even learned to buy only at good prices, I've managed to turn almost a $5K profit over the last few years. Here is some of the guitars (only a partial list):
http://jtees4.imgur.com/all/

Archived