Who can build this prototype guitar, and how much would it cost?

John Backlund

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ajympt View Post
I would suggest Travis Walker at JW Van Guitar Works. Great guy and killer results . He built my guitar from mock ups I did in photoshop and it turned out just like I wanted. I sent you his email and phone number.
Thanks, I will check him out.

Unlike most of the J. Backlund Design guitars being built in Chattanooga, the ones I'm most interested in having being made are basically 'plank-bodied' instruments without any of the relatively complex contours of the JBD guitars, flat fronts, flat backs.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ajympt View Post
I would suggest Travis Walker at JW Van Guitar Works. Great guy and killer results . He built my guitar from mock ups I did in photoshop and it turned out just like I wanted. I sent you his email and phone number.
Thanks, I will check him out.

Unlike most of the J. Backlund Design guitars being built in Chattanooga, the ones I'm most interested in having being made are basically 'plank-bodied' instruments without any of the relatively complex contours of the JBD guitars, flat fronts, flat backs.

• Members

hello John,
After the Marz-6, I will gladly help building some of your other models. The JBD-700 is very easy because it is a flat body. I think building the body would cost no more than 1 day.
Your 3D models are a bit more difficult of course (unless you have the possibility to make a 3D drawing of it, in which case I could use my cnc machine and again it would probably only cost 1 day for the body).

I could also make the pickguards. In fact, I think it would be an idea to make 1 big cad-drawing with all the flat metal parts/pickguards of all your models and have them cut from a big sheet of stainless stell by a company over here : if done in 1 run, it is not so expensive ( i have done it before and it was quite cheap because I know someone over there). I could use your drawings and make cad-drawings of them (just like I did with the Marz-6).

To bad I live in the Netherlands so maybe that is a problem. But if you like we could work something out.

Marco.

• Members

hello John,
After the Marz-6, I will gladly help building some of your other models. The JBD-700 is very easy because it is a flat body. I think building the body would cost no more than 1 day.
Your 3D models are a bit more difficult of course (unless you have the possibility to make a 3D drawing of it, in which case I could use my cnc machine and again it would probably only cost 1 day for the body).

I could also make the pickguards. In fact, I think it would be an idea to make 1 big cad-drawing with all the flat metal parts/pickguards of all your models and have them cut from a big sheet of stainless stell by a company over here : if done in 1 run, it is not so expensive ( i have done it before and it was quite cheap because I know someone over there). I could use your drawings and make cad-drawings of them (just like I did with the Marz-6).

To bad I live in the Netherlands so maybe that is a problem. But if you like we could work something out.

Marco.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dutch coco View Post
hello John,

Marco.
For those not aware of it, Marco has undertaken my Marz 6 design as a private build project. He has also graciously agreed to build a second Marz 6 for me. With the permission of the J. Backlund Design company, I will use this guitar as a display model at the summer NAMM show in Nashville to try to guage the potential interest for this model in perhaps becoming a Korean-built production instrument under the Retronix brand. If this happens, It will be largely due to Marco Krijger's efforts in bringing this guitar into the world as something more than an image in a computer file.

Here is Marco's Marz 6, in progress.....
MarcosMarz63.jpg

I now plan to attend the 2013 winter NAMM show in a few weeks and will be taking large printed images of some of my other guitar design concepts for industry feedback, the Marz 6 (and Marz 12) will be prominent among them. Steve Lewis and Kevin Maxfield of J. Backlund Design from Chattanooga will be there showing the first examples of the new Korean-built Retronix R-800, both six string and bass, along with several of the JBD U.S. custom models built by Bruce Bennett of JBD.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by deanmass View Post
There was a kickstarter campaign for The Glip, an iPhone tripod mount. They did their prototyping with an overseas company very cheaply. Check this link out. http://www.therussiansusedapencil.co...aking-the-glif
For some years now, I've wanted to produce a collection of my guitar-design artwork in book form, tentatively titled '100 Guitars, The Guitar Designs of John Backlund'. Maybe a Kickstarter project could fund such a thing. It would include many raw pencil sketches ranging from current efforts to those from years past, refined concept art up to my most detailed digital images, and things related to the process of making a unique pencil sketch become a wood and metal instrument.

About five years ago, with this book in mind, I had asked designer Craig Vetter (of Vetter Windjammer motorcycle fairing fame) to provide a foreword for my book and he had graciously agreed to do this if I published the book. Shortly before that, Craig had commisioned me to do some concept artwork for one of his projects, so I had something of a proffessional relationship with him.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by deanmass View Post
Bookwise, I would publish it direct to Kindle yourself. You will see far more money that way.

This is from Gary Fong, a photogrpher/inventer ( and musician).
on how to do it. Very easy.
But how is Kindle at presenting detail, color artwork? This book would be highly visual, with the emphasis on artwork as much, or even more than text. I know that electronic media is the future (or the present state) of publishing, but won't anyone want a coffee table book anymore? Perhaps a version of each could be made available.

• Members

Marco Krijger has just made the template set for the Backlund 700, he'll send them in a week or so. After I get back from the NAMM show, I'll start to figure out how to get the guitar built, and try to have it finished sometime in the spring. I've decided to use a stoptail bridge rather than then hipshot 'baby grand' shown in the artwork of the guitar, probably Kluson vintage slotted tuners, and GFS chrome lipstick pickups. I'll have two 'pickguard' plates made for it, one engine-turned aluminum or stainless steel, and another in bright chrome. I don't know what to use for control knobs yet, but I might need to get extra-creative to come up with something suitable.

Here's a few images of the template set Marco emailed to me...

DSC_0905_zps898cc146.jpg

DSC_0907_zps9b0a9274.jpg

DSC_0909_zps55a368c1.jpg

DSC_0911_zpscef04b4f.jpg

• Members

As with my JBD-100 model, this guitar will require a neck-holding floor stand like the Ultimate Support stands as provided with the JBD-100's. I will also go to the expense of having a custom made case for both this guitar, and also the Backlund 'Marz 6' guitar that Marco is currently building. I think I am going to contact the G&G instrument case company to see if they can build a proper fitted case for these two unique guitars and if so, get a ballpark idea of the cost. I'll try to see if there are any other custom case makers in the U.S. willing to fit the two guitars, but offhand I am not aware of any...of course, I am going to the NAMM show, so I might find someone there too.

( DAMNNN! it's just a booger to get anything posted on this site this morning!!)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow View Post
Awesome to see this coming together.

Always been a HUGE fan of your art, John.
Thank you Dave, I appreciate it a lot.

And while I'm here (and apparently able to post), I'll take advantage of the occassion and post a few shots of the Backlund 700body that Marco made yesterday. He said that he'll probably finish it up on Friday or so and ship it along with the template set.

700body1.jpg

700body2.jpg

Archived