NGD: Amazon Schecter Corsair with Bigsby Gloss Walnut...

Chad

• Members

Too late now perhaps but I think too many guys overlook setting the pickup height and screw heights when they get a new guitar. Put all attention on action and intonation (which is important of course), but then don't spend any time on pickups, other to decide to replace them. Then perhaps (haha) they put the time in on the replacements height and all, and lo and behold, it now sounds good.
Putting the time in on the stocks can yield big results. after all, it is the pickup that sends the sound down the pipe...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, but I've owned enough guitars & done enough pickup tweaking/swaps to know when a set of pickups are too far off the mark to bother with extensive tweaking. With some guitars, I've wasted a lot of time and energy tweaking pickups that just won't work when I could have simply bought new pickups and been happy.

• Members

I agree, but I've owned enough guitars & done enough pickup tweaking/swaps to know when a set of pickups are too far off the mark to bother with extensive tweaking. With some guitars, I've wasted a lot of time and energy tweaking pickups that just won't work when I could have simply bought new pickups and been happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Re-strung this guitar tonight. It was really simple and took all of 17 minutes.

Before putting the strings on, I took things apart and gave it a look over. A few observations:

1. The ebony fretboard was dry as a bone. It drank up Fret Doctor faster than I've about ever seen. I put on two applications. This darkened the fretboard and it looks really nice.

2. Had a look at the back of the pickups. The bridge pickup had "52.5" by the model name. I'm guessing that stands for 52.5mm spacing, which confirms my guess that it is a trembucker spaced pickup.

3. This is one of the few guitars I've bought (new or used) where the tuner threaded hex bushings were tight. Those are notoriously loose. All hardware is well fitted and tightened proper.

4. At the end of the fretboard, past the 24th fret, the binding looks like it got bumped by a file and it is kind of rounded. The treble side moreso than the bass side. I first thought maybe a file slipped during fretboard leveling, but now I'm wondering if it was done on purpose to intentionally smooth the edge. Don't think I've noticed that on other guitars, but I'd have to look specifically.

5. Fretwork is decent, but they could be crowned better. There is very slight chip-out surrounding a couple frets.

6. As mentioned before, nut height is really high. I took it down a bit tonight, but will continue to play with it and bring it down some more.

7. This is the first import Bigsby I've had. It's very well made. Not sure I really see an advantage over the U.S. versions.

8. Overall, finish is very nice. Even the paint around the f-holes looks pretty good on this sample.

Summary: a beautiful, well-put-together guitar that plays great. This is my first 335 style guitar. It sounds really nice strummed acoustically. Hope to get the amplified sound improved when my new pickups arrive. Overall, A LOT of guitar for the $375 I paid.

• Members

Re-strung this guitar tonight. It was really simple and took all of 17 minutes.

Before putting the strings on, I took things apart and gave it a look over. A few observations:

1. The ebony fretboard was dry as a bone. It drank up Fret Doctor faster than I've about ever seen. I put on two applications. This darkened the fretboard and it looks really nice.

2. Had a look at the back of the pickups. The bridge pickup had "52.5" by the model name. I'm guessing that stands for 52.5mm spacing, which confirms my guess that it is a trembucker spaced pickup.

3. This is one of the few guitars I've bought (new or used) where the tuner threaded hex bushings were tight. Those are notoriously loose. All hardware is well fitted and tightened proper.

4. At the end of the fretboard, past the 24th fret, the binding looks like it got bumped by a file and it is kind of rounded. The treble side moreso than the bass side. I first thought maybe a file slipped during fretboard leveling, but now I'm wondering if it was done on purpose to intentionally smooth the edge. Don't think I've noticed that on other guitars, but I'd have to look specifically.

5. Fretwork is decent, but they could be crowned better. There is very slight chip-out surrounding a couple frets.

6. As mentioned before, nut height is really high. I took it down a bit tonight, but will continue to play with it and bring it down some more.

7. This is the first import Bigsby I've had. It's very well made. Not sure I really see an advantage over the U.S. versions.

8. Overall, finish is very nice. Even the paint around the f-holes looks pretty good on this sample.

Summary: a beautiful, well-put-together guitar that plays great. This is my first 335 style guitar. It sounds really nice strummed acoustically. Hope to get the amplified sound improved when my new pickups arrive. Overall, A LOT of guitar for the $375 I paid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived