Is my Epi Frehley real or fake?

4thought

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
I have no idea, but faking an Epiphone doesn't make sense when it's just as easy to fake a Gibson and sell it for 5 times the price.
That's what I used to think. Then I went to* some of those Chinese fake sites. There are TONS of fake Epi's.

*note-- not to buy, I have no interest in abetting thieves

• Members

What's also interesting, is from doing a little research, there's at least 3 different models over the years: a Budokan with square inserts and a normal Custom logo; a model with the Ace picture and all "Kiss S" inlays, and a model with the Ace picture, Kiss Ss, and the Ace Frehley signature inlay on the 12th fret.

I'm not sure if the logo being slightly off is a big giveaway (it could just be a manufacturing defect), but the wiring looked a little odd. That said, I haven't opened my Epi Les Paul in a while to see what the wiring looked like.

• Members

Try and find if the tuning keys have that blatant seam on other models. Whatever it is it looks like one fine Les Paul. Some fake epis are from former Epiphone plants. So the luthiers there may even have improved when starting to make fakes. As long as the components are good...

• Members

Looks real to me, but I'm no expert. From those thumbnail photos, it appears as though there's a clear line in the pickup cavities where the maple top meets the mahogany body. Most fakes don't bother with the maple cap. But then again, my eyes might be filling in what they want to see - in person is there clearly a maple cap or does it appear as though it's one type of wood?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived