xPost: Designed a new guitar, now I'm going to protect it

BeeTL

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Having a trademark is pretty much useless unless you are able to enforce it.

I remember reading about how a company has spent thousands of dollars trying to stop China from flooding the market with the same exact product for 1/10 of the cost with no sucess. On one of their future products which they hold all the rights to, a counterfit version came out based on their patent designs alone leaving no money to actually create the product and release it to the market.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

don't waste your money.

there are two basic types of patents.
a patent for "design or process" and a "ultility" patent.

what your attemping to do would fall under a "design" patent and thanks to good ole Ted MCarty ( president of Gibson back in the day) the USPTO no longer gives "design patents for electric guitars" because Ted successfully proved that an electric guitar could be made from any design no matter how radical.

so your problem is.
#1. you haven't done anything patentable
#2. you have nothing on your drawing thats patentable under a ultility patent. which would be for a specific application, such as a new type of tremolo bridge or a new type of neck mounting system or a new method of manufacture.

and While I have NOT read the entire thread, I will say that IF you do start this process. you will end up several thousand dollars poorer and will be left with some indefensable paperwork,

Because even if you DO get granted a "Patent for electric guitar design " in the USA. no one here would be interested in copying you.. its the Chinese manufacturers you would have to worry about now, and they have almost zero patent laws and the few they do have .. they refuse to enforce.

so its all and excercise in futility.

So unless you have invented something that is as radical as the Parker fly.. then My suggestion is save your cash and just go over seas with it right off the bat. at least then you stand SOME chance of selling enough to eat on.

also your design is too close to the Danelectro PRO to fly anyway.

• 6 months later...

Archived