Top 10 Rhythm guitar players of all time

StratAttackJack

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Jkater

Elvis couldn't sing a note? And he could play guitar?
:confused:

Elvis COULD sing. And he COULD play guitar.

I'm saying that IF he couldn't sing, I'd still be glad to have him in my band for his rhythm guitar ability alone.

• Members

Originally posted by El Glom-o

I thought the guitar was more or less just a prop and Elvis actually couldn't play for {censored}?

That was when he started out. He actually played later on.

Listen to Elvis' first released recording, "That's Alright, Mama". The very first sound heard is Elvis putting down a solid rhythm on his acoustic guitar. Those other Sun recordings all include Elvis on rhythm guitar, and he does an excellent job.

Anybody who claims that Elvis couldn't play his guitar is incorrect.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

Elvis was always the first one to say "I only know 3 chords...but I faked it for a long time"

A totally false statement to anyone who knows {censored} about the Sun sessions. Elvis and Scotty were the only two guitars on there. Elvis held his own very well.

• Members

Hendrix - His rhythms were just {censored}ing cool!
SRV - Another great rhythm player.
Robin Trower - Robin can lay down some great rhythm.
Steve Cropper - When Steve set's the groove, it aint going anywhere - tight!
Malcom Young - Malcom lays it down.
Pete Townsend - What can I say?
EVH - Yes his rhythms are more interesting than his solos. Most of his solos just sound like mindless wanking - like they just punched his wanking in for the solo and then punched it out when the solo was over. After the novelty of tapping wore off, they were just plain boring. No shape, no form, they didn't start any where, didn't go any where, and didn't finish - they just meandered. Still, I wish I had 1/10th of his chops! :D
Alan Holdsworth - You think his leads are tough, try playing some of his rhythms!!! That man as octopus fingers.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

These new members excel at thread necromancy, let me tell you.

When I think "rhythm" I think Pete Townshend. I always found it tough to cop Hendrix's rhythm style. Adrian Belew's rhythm / co-lead in Crimson was always awesome. Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam has always been a favorite. Ty Tabor is a favorite, and his arpeggios and riffs propel the groove nicely. The Malcolm bros. sound incredible, so they should get a vote. I can't think of any others right now.

• Members

The Edge - one of the greatest rhythm players of all time.  Don't believe me? Trying doing what he does.

Freddie Green - his playing in Count Basie's Orchestra was felt more than heard, but he held that gig for over 40 years.

Steve Cropper - "Soul Man," Try a Little Tenderness," "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" 'Nuff said.

Catfish Collins - Laid down some funky grooves for James Brown, P-Funk, baby brother Bootsy and the Superbad soundtrack.

Johnny Marr - violated pretty much every rule of Guitar Herodom but produced some of the most memorable melodies of the 1980's with The Smiths.

• Members

You are correct that Eddie is more known for solo work and that his rythym playing is NOT "vastly" more superior than his solo work as suggested in the other post. That is just a ridiculous statement.

But equally as ridiculous is saying that we have to " Elevate" Eddie to a great "all around player". This is also an idiotic notion. Yes, Eddie is more known as a solo player but that is because he lit it up like no one before him and that is what people were paying more attention to in the era that Eddie
blew up.

BUT, fact is, he IS a great all around player, including rythym and always has been. As a musician and a guitar player you either recognise this, or you are not qualified to comment
because you are obviously a very NON musical person, your
ears simply don't work or both.
Doesn't matter if you don't like his songs, his guitar work, his band, his style or whatever. If you can't at least recognise his complete mastery of the instrument, finesse, innovation etc, and THAT includes rythym playing, solo playing, or even just making silly noises with hiis guitar, then I completely write off any opinion at all you can offer as beig completely uninformed, musically illiterate and absolutely incompetant.

There are tons of great players I have no interest at all in listening to because it may just not be my thing, but to deny their obvious talent makes me think you are wasting your time with music because you simply will never get it. If you can't hear the obvious talent in a player like EVH, then yeah, maybe get a new hobby because music is not what you are supposed to be doing.

• Members

Bo diddley

John lee hooker

Pete townsend

Johnny ramone

Johnny marr

Peter buck

Rick parfitt

James hetfield

Alex lifeson

Ty tabor

All are amazing rhythm players and all have there own distinctive instantly recogniseable styles when playing rhythm.

• Members

Missed this thread when it ran originally.  I'm not sure I would have answered the same then but I've been listening to a bunch of old Talking Heads recently.

IMO a glaring omission from this thread is David Byrne.  Dude tears it up on rhythm whether acoustic or electric.

Archived