Should I mod my Guild S 300-D?

6StringSling

• Members

guild_s300-d.jpg

I'm thinking of painting it white, putting on a set of locking tuners, and removing the tail piece and making it a string-thru-body.

No. Bad idea.

What year is that? I don't know what those are worth, but I can only imagine that modding it (especially anything that can't be reversed or un-done) will only lower the value... and end up being regrettable.

• Members

No. Bad idea.

What year is that? I don't know what those are worth, but I can only image that modding it (especially anything that can't be reversed or un-done) will only lower the value... and end up being regrettable.

The serial# is 205444 which according to the Guild website would place it in '79.

Mine has had the neck replaced, but I'd always thought it was originally a neck thru - the stain on my neck is several shades lighter than the body so it's very noticeable; I never thought of the guitar as having much value as a vintage instrument because of the replaced neck.

After looking at some closeup pics of other S 300-D's, I guess the neck is actually glued/set to the body:

This one is a '77. The starting bid is $725.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-GUILD-S-300-D-VINTAGE-GUITAR-CASE_W0QQitemZ290198968674QQcategoryZ41436QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBIDQQcmdZViewItem

98196642_o.jpg

This one went for $660 back in October, another went for $500:

guildbodyb.jpg

Well, that's kind of bogus - I was really thinking hard about the mod but I just can't bring myself to de-vintage an instrument for no good reason. Mine is the same brown as this one and I don't particularly care for the color. But I've seen some in the blond/natural and I didn't like them at all.

I suppose if I knew that it wasn't ever really going to be worth more than a couple of grand or so I might go ahead and mod it.

• Members

I use to have an S-100. The tail piece on that one was farther from the bridge than on yours. I guess I pick hard cause there was this rattle at the bridge on the 3rd string I just could not get rid of. I think it had to do with the sting angle from the bridge. Do you have this problem on yours? Why the string through the body? How much more sustain do you think that will add or is it a cosmetic thing? I never went the string through route cause removing the tail piece would leave 2 big holes.

The tuners on mine where high quality never had a problem. If yours are the same, you don't need locking tuners, you just need to learn how to wrap them correctly. Tutorial here.

As for painting it... Make sure to have it done well or else it will look like ass. I don't think the S-300 is particularly collectable. Mine wasn't either until the guy from Sound Garden started using one.

I didn't keep mine vintage in that I had a single coil added to the guitar.

S-100 similar to mine except mine didn't have the carvings.

1973%20Guild%20Acorn%20S-100%20SG%20Type

• Members

1) The neck looks original. Are you sure it isnt? 2) Dont mess with it

Those pics of the backs are NOT my guitar - they are from a couple of old ebay auctions. But looking at the S 100 and the beat up pic of one of the S 300's above, maybe my neck is original - the color of the stain between the neck and the body seems to vary quite a bit.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

To update a 5+-year-old thread, about 3 years ago my hanging guitar clock fell off the wall and gouged the Guild in the scallop of the upper horn. A couple of years ago I sanded it down and did a 2-tone stain job; a darker brown on the top and cherry on the back and sides. Last year I bought a house with my fianc

Archived