Do I have hearing damage?

AunShui

• Members

Woah, thank you VERY much for all the replies!

I've told my parents and they aren't happy, although they will take me to the doctor in a few days.

Its currently 4 days after the show, and I think its bounching back a little. Clarity has come back, which is nice.

I want to say that I am NOT experiencing ringing in my ears. That happened a few times in my life; this is not one of those times.

So far, ive been pretty careful all around.

When I went to ozzfest last summer, I wore earplugs.

When I practice with the band, I wear earplugs.

I suppose headphones are a problem (for my generation in particular), but I try to keep them low. I listened to some music today, and I kept it considerably less than loud by any standard.

If I dont feel 90% by sunday, I'll have my parents call the doctor and schedule an exam. I know they can't do much, but it would be nice to know.

Just for the record, I have the hear-o "rock and roll" series earplugs. I'll look into something nicer for my next purchase though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by AunShui

Alright, so I played a show on friday. Everything was pretty loud, amps were cranked, massive pa system, the whole deal.

After the show my right ear felt like it had water in it...everything sounded much more dull than it did through my left ear. I figured I would sleep it off and it would all be better the next morning.

It's been 3 days (show was on friday night), and it still sounds like theres water in my ear, or like someone put a pillow over it.

Is this hearing loss? I'm 16 years old; i don't want to be deaf by the time I'm 25. Do I need to see a doctor? Is there something I can do at home?

Thanks!

Probably.

Most hearing damage is permanent so you should get a decent set of ear-plugs and use those. You really shouldn't {censored} around, tinnitus isn't a cool thing.

• Members
Originally posted by AunShui

Woah, thank you VERY much for all the replies!

I've told my parents and they aren't happy, although they will take me to the doctor in a few days.

Its currently 4 days after the show, and I think its bounching back a little. Clarity has come back, which is nice.

I want to say that I am NOT experiencing ringing in my ears. That happened a few times in my life; this is not one of those times.

So far, ive been pretty careful all around.

When I went to ozzfest last summer, I wore earplugs.

When I practice with the band, I wear earplugs.

I suppose headphones are a problem (for my generation in particular), but I try to keep them low. I listened to some music today, and I kept it considerably less than loud by any standard.

If I dont feel 90% by sunday, I'll have my parents call the doctor and schedule an exam. I know they can't do much, but it would be nice to know.

Just for the record, I have the hear-o "rock and roll" series earplugs. I'll look into something nicer for my next purchase though.

icon14.gif

Good luck man!

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I am 64 and have had this for a long time. IT DOES /CAN HAPPEN all at once. Having been exposed to shooting without plugs caused a blocked ear which recovered but created problems which Deep Purple added to with no seeming return!

• Members

I had a similar experience years ago. I went to an audiologist and he was an a-hole. I waited 45 minutes for my booked appointment and when he saw me he looked in my ear, asked me why I exposed myself to loud music, told me it was permanent, and charged me $250. 10 minutes of the worst health care I've experienced.

It got better in 3 months and I can't tell that it ever happened. What an incompetent jackass.

• Members

I have tinnitis, it is pretty annoying but most of the times other sound drowns it out.  Maybe why I like to listen to music all day. :)  It's worst when I'm having trouble getting to sleep and all I can focus on is the ringing.  It's liveable, but I try to be careful to not do any more damage.

The day I decided to quit one of the bands I was in, we did one of those gigs where for whatever reason everyone just kept turning up.  Then everyone else turned up to hear themselves.  It was freaking ridiculous, nobody could hear what anyone else was doing.  I was pretty ticked, and after the gig my wife and I were at a diner, and I literally couldn't hear my own voice.  It was all garbled in my head.  Scared me a bit.  Took a couple days to recover, but I dont think my hearing ever came back 100%.  Other loud gigs and concerts probably didn't help even if they weren't quite as bad.

Best of luck with your hearing, be careful out there.  IMHO say away from earbuds if possible, and always use earplugs at loud shows.

• Members

It most likely will not be a problem if you start using ear plugs now, but if this keeps happening over time it will be.  I got a bit of ringing in my ears from time to time, but it stops after a bit.  also, if I'm in a room with louder noise it is harder to understand what people say to me, where as I use to be able to understand what people where saying. Everything kid of just becomes a big jumbled mess.

so.... WEAR EAR PLUGS:smiley-music021:

• Members

This might be just wax formed by the inner part of the ear to respond to the excessive noise. Go to a doctor. Learn your lesson, always wear earplugs, the real bummer is tinnitus, imaginary noises caused by ear trauma/fatigue. Go to a doctor, why would a bunch of gear freaks, yours truly included, know what's going on in YOUR ear. It's a science man... go... to... GOOD.... doctor.

• Members

I have two sets of earplugs on my keychain. I do not mess around with hearing loss. And I'm glad so many guys here put their hearing over image.

I knew this dumb broad in high school who went to lots of shows and started getting pretty bad hearing loss. Noticeable in conversations. I told her to try some musicians earplugs and said she didn't want to because she'd look lame. What a dumb ass. She had long hair no one would know!!!!

Archived