For those of you who ask us to find the chords to a song...

Jkater

• Members

First, let me say (redundantly) that there is nothing that takes the place of learning songs by ear and doing it yourself.  

That being out of the way, some of youz may want to take another route for your own excellent reasons and in this day and age of tools to slow down tunes and free tabs (they're usually bad), I can see the appeal of that compared to doing what we old folks had to do 35 years ago to learn anything.

And here's why I started this thread: i found by accident something that, if it works (I doubt it), might make some folks happy (and tone deaf).

• Members

First strike was the chord forms it showed.

I think using your ears is still best, and in this case probably more accurate and faster. I have developed the ability to quickly pick stuff up by ear, usually by the time half the song has played (basics). It's not that hard.

Bad tabs are bad. I was just learning a song for my student and after checking tabs and watching youtube covers, I was convinced the bad tab had caused the EASY (if you listened to it) mistake. They all played Am7 when it was clearly a C chord. I wonder if the author is having a laugh.

• Members

If that works it's pretty amazing.  When I learned guitar, if you couldn't figure it out or had a mate that could, you were stuffed.  While I agree nothing takes the place of learning a song on your own, technology is making some pretty awesome advances.

For what it's worth, all the songs I figured out on my own I remember, songs I was given the music for, not so much.

• Members

Anyone have this software? please put a charlie parker tune in it and post the results.

I'm sure this program fills a niche and some people will get value out of it, but the best thing about playing by ear is the results it brings to your live playing. I don't think there's any substitution for that. Anyone who's serious about music needs to be playing by ear at least sometimes.

• Members

So I googled it because I am indeed tone deaf (or pretty sure I am).  According to the website

It can detect Major, Minor and 7th chords with a high degree of accuracy. The accuracy is approximately 85% for basic rock and pop.

Looks like there is a free download.   Not sure if I will bother because I have a lot of other stuff to work on before I start spending a lot of time learning a bunch of songs.   Might be handy if I was in a band and needed to learn some stuff quick though?

Archived