Grover Rotomatics vs. WD Music tuners

J.W. James

• Members

Hi all!

I have a guitar that has been having tuning problems for few months now. The original tuning machines tend to loosen up even after I tighten the screws.

I am considering either Grover Rotomatics or WD Music tuners.

I already suspect that most people will say things like "you get what you pay for" and so on. I am interested in knowing how well the WD tuners hold up over time by comparison to the Grovers?

Obviously the Grovers would be slightly better for fine tuning since they have a higher gear ratio.

I like the black and the WD tuners have a far better price compared to the Grovers in black. Howeverm the price for the chrome Grovers is not much more than the WD machines.

So, what I am looking for is practical information that I can use in deciding how best to spend my money.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/WD-Music-Tuners-6-In-Line-360164-i1129474.gc

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Midsize_Rotomatics_6-In-Line.html

• Members

I prefer tuners with a higher gear ratio so that's what I would get.  It doesn't mean they are better, just different.  For what it is worth, I feel there is way too much emphasis on tuners, as long as they don't slip and you know how to tie the string on the head (ala-wraparound style), you're good to go.

• Members

J.W. James wrote:

Hi all!

I have a guitar that has been having tuning problems for few months now. The original tuning machines tend to loosen up even after I tighten the screws.

I am considering either Grover Rotomatics or WD Music tuners.

I already suspect that most people will say things like "you get what you pay for" and so on. I am interested in knowing how well the WD tuners hold up over time by comparison to the Grovers?

Obviously the Grovers would be slightly better for fine tuning since they have a higher gear ratio.

I like the black and the WD tuners have a far better price compared to the Grovers in black. Howeverm the price for the chrome Grovers is not much more than the WD machines.

So, what I am looking for is practical information that I can use in deciding how best to spend my money.

My fave tuning machines are Grover Locking mini-rotomatics. They are the same size as normal machines, so they don't add weight like other lockers. And they don't require larger holes, like other lockers. The locking makes string changes a snap, tuning is stable as it gets and the 18:1 gearing makes them silky smooth.

I've not looked into WD.

• Members

Thanks for the input all. It is MUCH appreciated.

The original tuners on my guitar have become sloppy. When tuning there are times you can feel the gears engage only after turning the knobs at least half-way. Not to mention that the knobs will not stay tight very well no matter how often I tighten the screws.

This is one of the bad things about sealed tuners, regardless of brand.. You just can't see what is going on when it isn't working right.

I recently had a new nut installed in this guitar and the guy that did the repair told me my tuning problems were from the brand of strings I use. Well, I have been using the same brand of strings for my acoustics since before I even owned this guyitar and have NEVER had any problems with them.

Archived