2012 Squier Affinity Strat (possible upgrades/advice?)

Thomas4024

• Members

I have a Made in China Squier Affinity Strat 

S/N: CY120604793 (assuming its 2012 because of the 12 after CY) 

Any one else with this guitar that could offer any advice with it and possible upgrades. Or if it's even worth upgrading.

Also, if I were to look into a new guitar what would you reccommend 

• Members

What guitars do you like, other than Strats? There are scores of affordable guitars that play and sound great. Which ome to get depends on your preferences.

That said, I find that PRS SE, MIM Fender, Epiphone, and Ibanez all make great guitars for the money.

• Members

Kayd has some solid advice.

Meanwhile, what do you like about the guitar, and what don't you like about it?  Does it have a specific problem that's annoying you or holding you back (tuning, tone, neck profile, etc). What kind of music do you play with it?

While Affinities are at the low end of the scale, they're not completely garbage.  If you don't have the cash to spring for a new guitar, a new set of pickups can work wonders on those until then.  I put a loaded pickguard on mine (2 Dragonfire Screamer Humbuckers) and it was the best $40 I had spent in a long time.  The guitar went from "meh" to the one I pick up first every time. Guitarfetish has loaded guards also, with some different choices.  I haven't bought from GFS but a lot of guys here have.

• Members

I have an Affinity Telecaster and what started out as a simple upgrade ended up as a project.

I spent more on parts than the guitar cost ,it would not have been worth it except the guitar was a gift from my wife and she is happy to see me use it.

• Members

I have no serious qualms with the Squier Affinity, (it stays in tune really well suprisingly) just want to know what I can do to improve it. As for pickups any idea what I should be aiming at ?

Also, has anyone used http://guitarpartsonline.com as a place for squire strat parts ? They seem to be at a good place, btu I'm worried about sacrificing quality for price.

• Members

I'm a huge fan of Squier Strats. I have 6 of them. One is Affinity.

The most important mods in my opinion are nut and pickups.

Nothing will affect and improve the sound as much as pickups. 

And nothing will improve tuning stability like getting a slippery Tusq XL nut, which is impregnated with Teflon.

You have to be very careful when ordering parts that you make sure they are for Asian Strats. Not American and not Mexican. I've ordered most of my upgrade parts from Guitar Fetish. I've been very happy with most everything I've bought from them. But there are other vendors for sure.

EYGuitars has killer prices, but shipping will take a little time, as they're in Asia.

http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/

For pickups, on the inexpensive side, the ones from Rose get a lot of really positive reviews. These are the $60 sets. 

http://www.rosepickups.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3862753

Check out the sound sample of the Heitage set. They sound SWEET!

• Members

Thomas4024 wrote:

I have no serious qualms with the Squier Affinity, (it stays in tune really well suprisingly) just want to know what I can do to improve it. As for pickups any idea what I should be aiming at ?

Also, has anyone used
 as a place for squire strat parts ? They seem to be at a good place, btu I'm worried about sacrificing quality for price.

guitarpartsonline.com is the same guy as dragonfireguitars.com.

• Members

Thomas4024 wrote:

I have no serious qualms with the Squier Affinity, (it stays in tune really well suprisingly) just want to know what I can do to improve it.

You have to know what you want to change about it before any advice on how to improve it will be valid.

People are telling you to do what they would do to get it to play more like they'd like it, but until you make some decisions about how YOU want it to sound those things may make it worse for you.

Don't start doing random things to it because you think you're supposed to.

Archived