Barrington guitars?

Zoidberg

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

That looks helluva lot like the Kramer Stagemaster Archtops from the same era.

Yup..

I read something about Barrington that went like this:

Barrington wanted to get into the guitar business, so they ordered the best guitar parts from a wellknown factory, then built them by hand..

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I have a Barrington BRG-881 in a chamelon purple type color that I bought off a friend for $100...I've NEVER come acrossed a better deal for $100...I swear by this guitar when it comes to straight rock/shredding...the hardware on it is all Gotoh and the parts all look like they came from ESP...I read that in '87 and '88 Barrington wanted to get into the guitar business and bought a bunch of parts from ESP and built a few different styles...I have the model with the Floyd Rose Gotoh with one pick up and one volume knob...I replaced only the pickup with a TOne Zone and haven't looked back sense...I highly recommend picking these guitars up if you come acrossed one...if you don't, please E-mail as I would probably be interested in another if the price and model was right

I've attached a pic of it...let's see if it works as I don't have server space to host pics...I've got lots of pics if anyone is curious about these rare, 2-year jewels

Hope this answers some questions as I'm new to this forum :D

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hey Guys, you are the only other people i have ever seen that have been blessed with the barringtons. I actually have a prototype model that was sent to Guild, from barringtons shop in Illinois. Guild was going to buy barrinton out, so they made a few prototypes and sent them to guild, but they never ended up buying them out. So the guitars were auctioned off...

A few months ago, I was looking at gear, and i came across this used guitar.

I had never seen anything so awesome. it was a neck thru, all gotoh hardward, and it was in great shape. It was dirty and in desperate need of a setup, but i bought it anyway. My co-worker Kenny told me the story, and i did alittle research about it, and i found out why i didnt have a name on the headstock, it is a prototype model. it looks just like the pink one . here is a picture of it.

marksbigphotoday006.jpg

• Members

chances of me selling mine are very very slim. im not sitting horrible financially right now. the neck is rediculas. its awesome. if you want, i can take more pics. just let me know

Just keep me in mind when you want to :thu:

Does it have the gotoh hardware and everything ?

• Members

actually, i am looking at a new guitar... but i don't have the cash. if the offer is right, i might sell it to you. shoot me a price buddy! and yes, its got all gotoh hardware purchased from esp. all the hardware is original and i have the original pickups too. it doesn't have any huge knicks in it or anything. its in great shape for a almost 20 year old guitar. the binding is aged and it looks great with the hardware.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey Guys, you are the only other people i have ever seen that have been blessed with the barringtons. I actually have a prototype model that was sent to Guild, from barringtons shop in Illinois. Guild was going to buy barrinton out, so they made a few prototypes and sent them to guild, but they never ended up buying them out. So the guitars were auctioned off...

Five year thread necromancy, that's a personal record! :)

Anyway, I have in my hands my girlfriend's Barrington by Guild, so apparently they got past the looking-at-prototypes stage.Maybe it was produced after one of the restructures? It's not a Krameresque superstrat, but something reminiscent of a BC Rich Eagle crossed with a Warlock. Imma try to sell it at my yard sale tomorrow, but I'll get some photos for posterity first.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. It says "Burnside," not "Barrington."

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I actually have a couple Barrington's.  I think at least one is a prototype (White semi-hollowbody single cutaway w/Bigsby---kinda based on a Gretch) and a black carved-top tele w/two humbuckers.    The neck on that one is awesome.    My band back in the '80's endorsed them (we were from Illinois and fairly close to the Barrington factory).  I seem to remember that the owner had some affiliation with Kramer (maybe he owned them and sold them and then started Barrington?).   Anyway, the white one is badly in need of a restoration (hardware is pretty rusted) but i've been toying with the idea of replacing the Bigsby and the bridge and pleking it so we'll see what happens...   If anyone's interested, I can try to take photos and send them.   

• 2 months later...
  • Members

OK, here's my input. I have 3 Foxxe's by Barrington Guitar Werks guitars. One is a Armitage (SN 104597 ARX 01) A 80's Kramer like shredder with all Gotoh hardware, a nicely full bound neck with shark-tooth inlays.super low action. The second one is a Stratocaster copy (SN 102805 - STX-54) nice hardware also great player. I find difficulty in believing this guitar could have EVER sold NEW for $ 80.00...more like a $ 800.00 guitar. Last I have a blonde Foxxe Telecaster copy (103) handwritten on sticker attached at back of neck sporting a simple chrome neck-plate with " BARRINGTON GUITAR WERKS" engraved on it. I would be happy to exchange photos of these guitars for others and am mostly interested in serial numbers and any factory markings so that hopefully someday enough information may be gathered to shed light on some of the mysteries surrounding these great and rare overlooked guitars.

• Members

Well, I remember going to their factory in Northern Illinois in the late '80's. I have a couple of their guitars, including a BGW-275 which I recently restored that just plays and sounds awesome. And a black carved top tele with white binding and 2 EMG humbuckers. Also, plays great. Go there are some other fans out there. Very overlooked company whose guitars still stand up well after all these years.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I have a Barrington BGW 701 or 800 full body single cutaway with gold hardware. Bought it from the USA some years ago ( when I was flush with money) because I liked the look of it with OHC.  Only plugged it in once and it sounded good. The construction of the neck is fantastic. After reading the post here my enthusiasm has come back so I will have to root around in the attic ( which is like a bomb site) and hopefully find it and give it a play. Bill

• Like 1