eastwood guitars

wilg8

• Members

I have two Easwoods, and I really dig 'em, an H44 DLX, and a twin tone. I have limited experience with their cheapies and their spendier models, but the $500-ish midrange guitars are quite nice and playable. There used to be a time when/ some eastwoods may have been a bit spendy for korean and chinese guitars, but most other guitar makers have raised their prices in the last two or three years, and eastwood hasn't.

I like guitars with personality, and eastwoods definitely have that.

• Members

I have two Easwoods, and I really dig 'em, an H44 DLX, and a twin tone. I have limited experience with their cheapies and their spendier models, but the $500-ish midrange guitars are quite nice and playable. There used to be a time when/ some eastwoods may have been a bit spendy for korean and chinese guitars, but most other guitar makers have raised their prices in the last two or three years, and eastwood hasn't.

I like guitars with personality, and eastwoods definitely have that.

well heres the deal, ive heard gretsches arent really built to trash around on, i beat up my guitars a bit, nothing lke pete townsend, but i dont want to spend 2k on a guitar and have it fall apart from abuse, if i spend 600 on one thats a gretsch knock off i wont feel as bad

• Members

I've had a couple of Eastwoods (an Airline Coronado, and a Sidejack Baritone). I thought they were decent guitars for the money. I'm debating getting another one down the road, when my finances have recovered a bit from this latest round of guitar gear acquisitions. Maybe another Coronado, a Tuxedo, or a Roy Smeck. I think they're cool guitars. The reasons I got rid of mine were not because they were bad guitars, but because:

A. I had a chance to buy back my old jetglo Ric 360 (Coronado traded for it)

B. Baritones are cool, but I prefer the extended range I get from 7 string guitars (sold the Sidejack).

• Members

well heres the deal, ive heard gretsches arent really built to trash around on, i beat up my guitars a bit, nothing lke pete townsend, but i dont want to spend 2k on a guitar and have it fall apart from abuse, if i spend 600 on one thats a gretsch knock off i wont feel as bad

Okay, but I don't really see the Classic 6 being the ultimate Gretsch-like guitar. Here, though, is one on eBay for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360303629700

• Members

Okay, but I don't really see the Classic 6 being the ultimate Gretsch-like guitar. Here, though, is one on eBay for you:

its not, i guess its loosely based on a gretsch, ill swap out the pups later for duncan filtertrons, i was lookin at that guitar also!! thers a dealer not too far from my work, i gotta stop by n check one out personally

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I was skeptical at first about Eastwood/My Rare Guitars, but then they re-issued the Kay 'Solo King' in a limited run and thought I'd give one a try. I'd been looking for one for 2 years. REAL Solo Kings

are virtually unobtainable these days and thought

I'd better get one fast. Eastwoods aren't the most

solid feeling guitars, but they do play nicely; the

pickups have a nice vintage tone, and overall, you

can't beat the price for what you get. I also recently

picked up an Airline MAP w/Bigsby, in a limited 3-

tone sunburst. I never liked the solid color ones, but

the sunburst finish dramatically enhances the entire

look IMHO. It's a really nice axe, as well... but

suddenly, Eastwood/MRGs did another run of both

these guitars... which I felt pretty annoyed at, being

they offered them both as being "limited to only xx"

production numbers; probably to hasten your

purchase and make you feel like you're picking up

something exclusive that very few people are going

to own. BS. Neither of the guitars come with a case.

I have the Solo King in a quality gig bag at the

moment; as there is no specific case available for

it, but ordered the available Deluxe Airline HSC for

the MAP. This was another disappointment. The

deluxe cases are advertised as having formed

interior padding, specific to the Airline model it's for.

What I received though, was a flimsy generic case

with the deluxe-style cream colored tolex and metal Airline logo on it. My heart sank, because I paid $189 (w/shipping) as opposed to $99 for the cheap generic. I immediately looked at my Paypal account

and can't find any charges for it and also called my bank... so far, no sign of it, what so ever. So, I don't

know what happened, but even if it was 'free' the

level of protection is highly questionable, as the

guitar has a lot of room to slide around inside... both side-to-side and end-to-end. BEWARE!!! In this economy, alot of places are cutting corners, and

worrying about the consequences later. I doubt I'll

buy from these guys again, now... just on principle. I hate people wasting your time by pulling this kind of crap on you!

• Members

I have this:

Airline-Jupiter-Pro-Dallas-Green-900a.jpg

The pickups, hardware and neck are great.  The electronics are awful; the finish lovely but it weighs a ton.  As a lifelong GASaholic it's the one guitar I regret purchasing recently, but I like some of the other Eastwoods. 

Not pleased to hear that the Michael-dude who invites you to email him is an ass.  I was going to send a note asking why the electronics on a higher end signature model are so cheap and would they mind having someone fix them and ... well, I can live without Eastwood guitars.

• Members

I got a polite response, which basically said "we are replicating the older guitar - right down to the annoying features!"  He sent the schematic, suggested maybe I bring it to a guitar tech to get rewired .... well, I can rewire it myself, thanks, I was hoping you'd have made a guitar that was more useful than faithfully reproduced.

I wasn't aware that Dallas Green was playing the 60's, either.

Not a favorable impression.

• Members

Not impressed.. I am a long time electric 12 string player, and have owned and played  everything from several Rics[360,370,660] to 2 original  hockey stick Fenders,  Fender Strat 12, Ibanez Artist 12, Couple of  vintage Hartroms, Usa  Kappa 12, Original and reissue Dano 12, Original Guild starfire 12, and many off brand 12 strings that just suited my fancy at the time.. I know a decent electric 12 when its in my hand and ears.. I bought an  Eastwood classic 12 believing all the hype and hoopla.. I was totally underwhelmed.. I got it to where  it played ok, but had a cheap feel, and a very generic sound.. I really did expect more... I ditched it and bought a really cheap used  Turser Hawk 12, which is actually a much sweeter sounding 12 string, and for 150 or so dollars was a great deal.. The Eastwood was traded for a vintage Traynor 100 watt tube amp head, so I made out ok... It was just a generic guitar all the way around with NO discernable character, and absolutely No soul... best one word description?... meh...

• Members

I got a sidejack (Mosrite copy) and consider it a decent deal. It looks very cool and has a great authentic retro sound. I like the sound of the P90 pickups better than the Gibson SG 60s tribute and Agile Les Paul clone I have owned. The downside is the intonation isn't great (although I have made bridge adjustments only), a bridge piece has slipped out of position and there is a lot of noise, more than the other P90s I have used, especially in some places I have used it, fortunately not my studio. I plan to have it wrked on to see how much it can be improved.

Archived