AFM Pay scales

TheLuxLife

• Members

It varies by local, doesn't it? At least , it used to.

Back in the day when I was a union musician in my home town, scale was 50 bucks a man per four hour performance. When I moved to Boise, it was 60. My buddy in Vegas made more, but they had a tier system, that is, some clubs were "c" clubs, where you started, then you went to "B" and then "A" and "AA" clubs, which were hard to get into because they were mostly show bands who backed up stars and had to read everything. I'm not sure what it is anymore, except pretty much irrlelevant.

• Moderators

Rates are local to local, and as BS mentioned there is a tier system in most major markets like NY, LA, Vegas, ...good money to be made at the upper levels...getting there is the secret ;)

The union generally takes your money, and provides you with a sense of security...but ask the long time Las Vegas AFM membership how they liked their last contract... :rolleyes:

I have been in the AFM, but have not been a dues paying member for many, many years. They don't guarantee you gigs, and whether you are gigging or not, you still need to keep your dues current. Most smaller venues are non-union, so unless you are making a living at it, the Union isn't going to be much good to you.

• Moderators

I started the thread b/c a producer heard me playing at a random music store, gave me his card and said "I need you...call me ASAP". Just wanted to get an idea of the scale in L.A. and it seems that would be Local 47:
http://www.promusic47.org/wage2/wageSR.htm

yep, that's our local...but is this producer willing to pay scale? I worked for a lot of smalltime producers in the 90s, and they had no idea what union scale was, so I charged them a flat half day rate, even though I might be there an hour or less...generally the 'top' producers here won't pick someone up who is not on 'the list'...

good luck, though...studio work can be a real grind...:cool:

• Members

yep, that's our local...but is this producer willing to pay scale? I worked for a lot of smalltime producers in the 90s, and they had no idea what union scale was, so I charged them a flat half day rate, even though I might be there an hour or less...generally the 'top' producers here won't pick someone up who is not on 'the list'...

good luck, though...studio work can be a real grind...
:cool:

It was a weird thing meeting him. I'm in AL for a few days, and he's here visiting family...I went in there to pass some time, and as he was on his way out he decided to ask me if I'd be willing to be part of his "team" because he just put together a "state of the art" studio. I guess he was very impressed with my skills on the keys. I have heard quite a few people say that I play very differently than lots of the pros they know -shrugs-. I hope it works out well. He says he has tons of work he needs me to do ASAP and he's willing to pay scale.

• Members

Good luck. Stranger things have happened, but he might be totally blowing smoke too. The rule of thumb is that a real producer would hire you for a lower priority session and see how you handle yourself before offering you a slot of his "team". It's sort of like dating. You don't meet a woman in a bar and proposing marriage after a half an hour.

A seesion player needs to have chops, flexibility, professionalism, and interpersonal skills. There is no way you can tell me that he was able to satisfactorily and accurately assess all of those varied elements about you during a meeting at a music store. If he's so quick to pull out the welcome mat, he'll be just as quick to yank it away.

Somethin's fishy...

• Members

Good luck. Stranger things have happened, but he might be totally blowing smoke too. The rule of thumb is that a real producer would hire you for a lower priority session and see how you handle yourself before offering you a slot of his "team". It's sort of like dating. You don't meet a woman in a bar and proposing marriage after a half an hour.

A seesion player needs to have chops, flexibility, professionalism, and interpersonal skills. There is no way you can tell me that he was able to satisfactorily and accurately assess all of those varied elements about you during a meeting at a music store. If he's so quick to pull out the welcome mat, he'll be just as quick to yank it away.

Somethin's fishy...

Yes, well...we'll certainly see. I'm supposed to meet up with him next week, and I'll be back to post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, well...we'll certainly see. I'm supposed to meet up with him next week, and I'll be back to post.

If he has his own studio, I can almost guarantee he'll want you "off the clock" most of the time. When he sells a master or gets a label deal, he'll probably have to file a union contract. So, if he's like the producers I've worked with, he'll ask you to work on a flat rate or project basis until he has to file with the union.

There's a lot of "looking the other way" in NY, LA and Nashville when it comes to studio work. That's a good thing, because, IMO, the unions are a bigger pain in the ass than the producers and labels.

Archived