drum keys?

lucho_84

• Members

how many drum keys do you have? what's your fav?

i have 4 keys. 2 black zildjian z shaped keys, a rhythm tech torque key($20:eek: ), and an evans magnetic drum key($10) with a spinning thing at the top. what about ya'll? the evans is my favorite and it's nice and sturdy. not like the zildjian things. oh and i also have one that looks like an allen wrench but it's a drum key. came with my dw 5000 pedal.. who knows why??

• Members

I have about 9 drum keys 5 of them or Pearl that came with my hardware, 1 is a dw the came with my 4000 pedal, 1 is a cheap one. I have a swivel one were the handle spins and a modern drummer key that is 24k gold plated. My favorite is the swivel one because it's easy to take off t my head when I change them.

Elliott

• Members

I have two :).... lol I have hte key which came with my swingstar and a Key/Drum Hammer which came with my iron Cobra double pedal, I only use the Hammer cos I always have my Iron Cobra with me when Im drumming, the pedal has a slot for it so I never lose it, and it also has the Hex Keys built in to adjust the Pedal and pretty much anything which would need adjusting on the Drum Kit.

• Members

I've got about 50 or so drumkeys from everybody and their mother. My "rare" key, is a Gretsch key that is about 25 years old or so. It says Gretsch in the handle, and I've never seen another one like it.

I generally use a Pearl key that is on my Keyring that is really hefty, and an Evans magnetic Key that I really love. I also have several Evan's Key bits that I use in a Makita 9.6V Cordless Drill.

Tim

• Members

Well, we used to have a killer drumshop here in town and the guy had a 5 gallon bucket full of various types of drum keys that he sold for $1.50 each, so every time I would go in his shop, I would buy a key, and I tried to buy a different kind of key every time.

I picked up 2 things there that I had never come across before - the Gretsch drumkey, and a Rogers "drop" clutch (the same one that Peter Criss from Kiss used) which I used for years but had to retire because I had almost worn it out. Roger's Drums was the creator of the hi-hat drop clutch, and their model looks completely different than the DW/Gibraltar and Yamaha types...it has a really long drop arm that sticks up, instead of out to the side, and it has the Rogers "R" logo in the end of it.

Tim

• Members

I have 2. One that came with my kit which is easy to use as it is quite small and can get into those hard to reach places and a second which came with my Gibraltar pedal which is {censored}ing annoying because it's {censored}ing long and harder to use

• Members

I have 5 drum keys........ my main(pre-concert) key is an Evans magnetic key......I carry a Tama key on my housekey ring.....have several others at my rrehearsal place and one here and there in my accessories briefcase.

• Members

I have 2. One that came with my kit which is easy to use as it is quite small and can get into those hard to reach places and a second which came with my Gibraltar pedal which is {censored}ing annoying because it's {censored}ing long and harder to use

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh now that i think of it i have a extra one now! lol I got one which came with my Gibraltar GRS350C, so thats 3 :D

• Members

Originally posted by tangman

I have two
:)
.... lol I have hte key which came with my swingstar and a Key/Drum Hammer which came with my iron Cobra double pedal, I only use the Hammer cos I always have my Iron Cobra with me when Im drumming, the pedal has a slot for it so I never lose it, and it also has the Hex Keys built in to adjust the Pedal and pretty much anything which would need adjusting on the Drum Kit.

Same with me...I use the one on my Iron Cobra about 90% of the time because it's always right there on my pedal.

All told, I've probably got 8 or 9...most of them came with a drum. I've got probably 3 or 4 of the regular Tama ones, a couple of generic ones, the 'key/hammer' thing on my Iron Cobra, and two Evans keys.

One of the Evans keys is the kind that you can put into an electric drill or screwdriver. I highly recommend it. I had a plastic one that broke, and the Evans one is metal, and I can't imagine how I'd ever break it. It (or others like it) work GREAT for quick changes. I can pull a head off a drum in about a minute with it. It's NOT good for tuning, however. When you put a head back on, it's best to use it just to get the tension rods back to touching the rim. Then I switch back to using regular keys to actually tune. However, on those days where I'm changing all of heads on my toms or something, the drill key thing really speeds things up.

The other Evans key is their 'torque' key. Basically, you set a little dial on it and it'll stop turning once the tension rod reaches a certain tension. In theory, you can tune a head all the way around and get even tension with this thing. In reality, it doesn't really come that close. The problem is that not all tension rods turn equally well, so tension rod tension isn't really a very good indicator of how tight the head is. I got it as a gift...I wouldn't recommend anybody to pay extra for it over a standard key. The best features of it are: 1.) that it's magnetic, so you can leave it on a tension rod while you play and it'll stay there, 2.) like other Evans keys, it's got a knob on top of it that allows you to 'spin' it to tighten or loosen the tension rods when you take them out completely, and 3.) it's got a pretty big gripping area that fits nicely in my hands compared to the typically puny gripping area of most keys.

BTW, I like to have at least 2 keys handy when I'm changing heads. That way, I can tighten opposite tension rods at the same time when I'm tuning. Faster, and easier, IMHO.

• Members

I use that Iron Cobra one from my pedal too but I gotta be more careful with that one, it's got a bit more leverage and I'm hell on stripping bolts as it is. I think I stripped a lug on my snare using that bastard but I managed to swap two lug bolts on my snare and it works fine.

For high speed torquing, I use a 1/4" drive socket on my cordless drill. Can't remember what the exact socket size is though.

I also just have a plain jane DW key that I keep on my keychain as a backup.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

I also just have a plain jane DW key that I keep on my keychain as a backup.

...and for impressing the chick at 7-11 when you whip out your key chain looking for pocket change. It sure beats saying, "I'm a drummer, what's your sign?", eh?!? ;)

• 6 years later...
  • Members

no telling. i find them everywhere.

a couple in my change cup on my desk. one that lives on my coffee table for when i'm doing head changes at home. one on my keychain. a couple in my stick case. i have a crate with a bunch of random drum and guitar parts; and there's probably 10 in there. pretty sure there're a few in the console in my car as well as in my trunk.

most all of them are ayotte or DW. the one on my keychain, which is probably used the most, is an ayotte.

i like the ayotte keys the most because they have this like ... contoured thing to them. makes them very easy to tighten hardware; and ALL ayotte mounts want a drumkey. kick spurs, rack tom mounts, floor tom legs.

• Members

Heh heh... drummer accessories. I've got a bunch of keys... all shapes and sizes (as long as they were cheap). One or two in my practice space, one in my car, one at home on my dresser, one attached to my Iron Cobra (great key, it has the hex wrenches built onto it!)...

• Members

I have been playing for over 25 years, and am a pack rat, plus, used to work at a couple drum shops and the keys that came along with kits would wind up in my pockets all the time when I'd spend hours assembling boxed kits, so...

I would say easily 50, but chances are good I have somewhere approaching the vicinity of 100 or more.

I know there are 5 or more sitting on my desk in my office at home right now, at least another dozen in two drum bags/cases for gigging that I use regularly, one in a DW clip attached to each of my 3 hihat stands (home/live kit/rehearsal space kit), another 10-15 spread around every corner of my home practice room, more at the band rehearsal spot, one on the keychain, etc., and then I have an old Converse All-Stars shoebox filled with keys, pedal springs and the like...

All kinds too: several Tama Iron Cobra hammers, lots of DWs, lots of Pearls that came with Export kits, lots of Tamas that came with Rockstar kits, a nicer heavy-duty Pearl, one of the big/beefy Evans magnetic keys, a DW torque key, Yamaha keys, one of the first batch of the TWEEK plastic keys (the local dsitributor brought some in when they first launched), a couple crank speed keys, at least a couple each of vintage Ludwig (script logo ones and the 70's ones with the fold out screwdriver, etc.), Gretsch and Rogers, another couple dozen generic keys...I had one of those Rhythm Tech ratchet deals that I used to carry all the time until the plastic around the 'head' broke and it won't ratchet no more...and I somehow lost one of the similar Ludwig ratchet wrenches a long time ago

Archived