The Security Guard

• Members

So I'm going in to work and a security guard says,

"You play in a band?" (long hair)

I says, "Kind of... I am the band."

He says, "My son has a band. They even have a CD."

I says, "Who doesn't?"

He says nothing... I say nothing....

And then I realized that I shattered his dream.

That was a year ago, and I still feel bad about that.

• Members

For your consideration:

Almost 30 years ago, I was a senior in highschool. We were hosting a "get to know our highschool" event for 8th graders. A bandmate and I were discussing music in the lunch line when a chubby little kid pipes up with, "Are you guys in a band? I play drums." Of course, we pretty much reply, "Errr, that's nice - move along junior".

Well, the munchkin keeps trying to get involved in our conversation. He finally gets our attention when he says, "I have an octa-plus." :eek:

Cut to the chase...He's been playing since 5, has chops like Neil Peart (seriously), can sing his ass off, has a full basement set up as a practice room and has parents who will buy him PA, lights, etc. at the drop of the hat. Guess who I played with for the next few years?

The moral of the story as it relates to The Security Guard? Never dismiss anyone out of hand when it comes to musicianship. You never know where a great contact will pop up.

• Members

CloseEnough's right on the money.

Furthermore, with the guard, he was just making conversation. And the OP just shut him down. Aside from making musical contacts, it's a dumb idea to shut down casual contacts with people in different positions than you. Unless they're just bad people, I'd rather have other people set to the "be nice to me" position.

I talk to the security guards where I work. I say hi, have a nice weekend, etc. Why? Because they give me less hassle when I'm going through, than the head down, no eye contact suits that go through everyday.

• Members

Originally posted by Kingnome

So I'm going in to work and a security guard says,

"You play in a band?" (long hair)

I says, "Kind of... I am the band."

He says, "My son has a band. They even have a CD."

I says, "Who doesn't?"

He says nothing... I say nothing....

And then I realized that I shattered his dream.

That was a year ago, and I still feel bad about that.

Haha, that's kind of messed up.

• Members

I had the same situation where a guy I met and I were talking about music and I mentioned I needed a drummer, He says 'my son drums, and He's pretty good' I think ya....right.

I put an ad in the local rag and guess who answers it? And guess who played with me for a year? Go Figure..

• Moderators

we have an old saying among my people:"don't burn a briddge you haven't crossed".

Over the years I have wasted some time on some godawful, untalented wankers...but I have also made some good contacts, all from casual conversations...

perfect example: about 23 years ago, a friend of mine casually mentions that his 'little brother' is pretty good on drums...so we arranged a jam, and the little brother was pretty good, but lived too far away, so nothing came of it...the little brother's name? Matt Sorum, later to play with G'n'R and Velvet Revolver...

• Moderators

Are you suggesting that I ruined my chance of becoming a security guard?
:D

no, but you ruined you chance of the security guard giving a rat's ass when he sees someone breaking into your car and stealing your stereo... ;)

• Members

A few years ago, I was talking to a coworker about music and he mentioned that his son played guitar. The image of some kid churning out Green Day tunes in his garage popped into my head, but thankfully I didn't say anything. It turns out, his son is this guy and was touring with Scofield at the time.

• Members

In the late 80's my mom joined an oldies ('50s-'60s) band and shortly after, their guitar player flaked out. It seems that he had a bit of a drug/drink problem and had an ego the size of Shea Stadium to boot. They wanted to get rid of him, but they didn't know anyone else to play. I know, I know...guitarists are 12 for $.10 but this was small town Kansas and there just weren't that many players around.

Anyway, my mom says "my son Rich plays guitar, we should let him try out" and the guys are going "sure, lady...you're proud of your son and all, but we need a guy with 'sperience". She took me to practice with her the following week, and the rhythm player hands me his Les Paul, and says "okay, kid, let's see what you've got". After 10 minutes I was asked to join the band.

• Members

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you suggesting that I ruined my chance of becoming a security guard?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by daddymack

no, but you ruined you chance of the security guard giving a rat's ass when he sees someone breaking into your car and stealing your stereo...
;)

:D Prolly a lot of truth there! :wave:

• Members

daddymack's got the right of it.

You never know what use a contact may be at a later date. And it doesn't always have to do with getting a job.

Since you never know how useful somebody could be to you, it is foolish to piss them off because they don't have immediate value. Contacts are an investment. They usually pay off later, when you least expect it.

Janx

• Members

Actually, this security guard sounds like my dad. He's one of those overly proud parents. He'll tell anyone that's willing (or not) to listen about my band(s). Most of the time it kind of bothers me, but I know he means well. But it makes me feel like the person he's talking to thinks I'm some kind of arrogant musician, when I'm not at all.

Archived