Ok anyone playing only with an electronic kit live ?

JMS 2

• Members

Hey. There are actually many people who does. (Even more if you count the ones with triggers on their drums.)

You'll have to go quite expensive to get realistic drum sounds, though. And certain things, such as cymbals, are not quite up to snuff yet.

• Members

Hello there.

Interesting .... I never see anyone performing live with an electro kit. A couple pads here and there at best but noone with a complete electronic drumkit.

I thought the sounds were quite ok in general ...

What do you call expensive btw ?

• Members

What I mean by expensive is that if I was to use electric only I would get something like the Roland TD-12, which is $3300 at music123.com - the TD-12 has the same soundengine as the TD-20, only you can't change all the details on the drum-sounds.

You could probably get the $1500 TD-6 and few or noone would notice. I don't actually know, never tried it. You'd be stuck with rubber pads, though, unless you shelled out $2000 for the TD-6-kit.

No matter what electric set you buy, though, you'll still have problems with cymbals not doing what they'd do in real life.

vdrums.com has some names on people using vdrums, don't know if they are using ONLY vdrums though..

• Members

I did for 4 years at our old church and I never liked them. They were high end Roland's and I was able to get a pretty decent sound out of them but they did not respond like real drums and it just got on my nerves. I would love to have a set for home and then gig with real drums though. As for the sound, generally you need to think in terms of getting a good sound as if you were the sound engineer out front having already added compression, EQ, etc to them. I you try to make them sound like true acoustic drums, you will be frustrated. If you make them sound like a really good recording, it works.

• Members

i gigged a drum 'n bass nite with my DTXPIII. it was actually really tight. i was "battling" with DJ's, but we were just really trading lead back and forth. The mix was great, i'd never heard myself as well as I did. i also used a lot of samples that night, and it sounded tight as hell, especially in the mix with good battle DJ's.

Archived