My daughter wants to learn the drums...

hammergjh

• Members

A simple 4 or 5 piece, used major brand name kit would be my suggestion. Real cymbals, too. Beginner & toy-like gear often sounds & functions so poorly that it becomes discouraging.

You can prolly get a decent little setup off of ebay for 3 or 400 bucks. Care for it well & it'll retain it's value.

"Starter" kits & cymbals are essentially disposable & cost about what decent used gear does. Then you throw them away...

There are tons of threads here about first kits...

2 cents - bodinski

• Members

Originally posted by bodinski

A simple 4 or 5 piece, used major brand name kit would be my suggestion. Real cymbals, too. Beginner & toy-like gear often sounds so & functions so poorly that it becomes discouraging.

You can prolly get a decent little setup off of ebay for 3 or 400 bucks. Care for it well & it'll retain it's value.

"Starter" kits & cymbals are essentially disposable & cost about what decent used gear does. Then you throw them away...

There are tons of threads here about first kits...

2 cents - bodinski

I've thought about this option. Thanks.

• Members

Yah, the key will be to get her something that will keep her interested. For most kids, I would imagine a small kit would do the trick over just a snare.

Of course, the bonus is, if she loses interest, you could have a kit on your hand for yourself, so might as well buy something YOU like too. :o

• Members

Lessons are always the most important, but with a younger kid a set might be useful because it's more interesting than just a snare.

Keep in mind that any kit above $350 may be pretty loud, so take a look at where you'd want it.

Lessons! From someone who is good with kids.

• Members

You know your daughter best. If she's the type that gets all enthusiastic about something, then loses interest quickly, you should go with a 'kiddie' set. If she loses interest later, you can always sell it to another parent with a budding young rock star (just call some of the drum instructors in your area - they have plenty of these kids looking for starter kits).

If your daughter is the type that puts her heart and soul into things, then perhaps get her a jazz bebop type kit with 18" bass. She can use that kit for the rest of her life.

Good luck!

Archived