Yamaha tom ball clamp

twosticks

• Members

Last night after posting on here, I played my drums a little and was making sure my toms holders were snug.

I noticed on my 12" tom, the metal casing that covers the resin ball had a gap on one side. I took off the tom and found the allen/hex wrench and tighten it up. Then the hex screw on the other side falls out!

Seems that the screws are stripped. I can get them snug and tight, but when I tighten the top wing nut that locks the ball in place (in turn the tom), the gap (now on both sides) appears and ball doesn't stay in place. SO I will get a new tom arm.

I've checked on the web some and seems I need model #CL940 (or CL940A on some pages).

I'm about an hour away from Jacksonville or Gainesville FLA. I'm thinking a music shop or GC might have it in stock??

Is it better to order it on line??? If so, where?????? I saw a site from the UK that had them a 12 pounds (dollars??) I'm guessing they might run about $20-45 U.S.

Any help or advice would truly help. This seems to be one the things this forum does well. Thanks tons in advance for any info!!!

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

I looked on Dale's site. It listed the whole tom holder for my set, not just the arm. But I will call if the other doesn't pan out. Thanks very much for the info. Seems to be a great place to go for other things I want.

I was in Harrisburg for a day when I lived in MD for a couple years. Wish I would have known about Dale's. But I was really broke back then so I could've done was drool!

• Members

Update:

This morning I called all the stores in Gainsville, either didn't have it or could order it. Same thing when I called the stores in Jacksonville. The Guitar Center (Jax) guy said he sold the last three he had literally yesterday.

Last night looked on line and the best place I found was The Drum Center superstore out of Tulsa, Okla. Their price was $40+shipping.

I went by the store here where I originally bought the set five years ago and they said $35+tax and they could have it in a week so I put in my order and went with them. I pay when it comes in.

The guys there weren't really drum techs so I'll see if the right part gets ordered and comes in. So I THINK I'm good.

But I see good places to go when I get enough for the Sabain Crash/Ride I want to get after awhile.

In the meantime, I took off my 13" tom and using my 8",10" and 12" as rack toms with my 16" floor tom.

Just in case anybody was bothered....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Another update: I went by after a week like they said and it hadn't come in yet. Last weekend was busy out of town. I went by today on a whim while running other errands and YES! it was in!

Told them to leave a message when it came in and didn't hear anything. They said they left a message on 9/6 or 9/8 or so....

He had said $35 but the price on the package was $37.50 and my wife already had the bank card out so I didn't argue. (wife would have refused the price until he came down, and would have waited all night, so for the couple bucks to have the part in hand was worth it)

So total with tax was $40.61.

A little cheaper than I could've gotten it on line so worked out well.

What I learned: Yamaha has great hardware but can still get worn out. What parts are the tom arms and what parts are the whole assembly

(TH (TomHolder) stands for the whole piece that holds toms and slides into the bass/stand as well/ CL-940A (Clamp), as in ball clamp stands for the arm and resin ball clamp assembly) CL-945 is for the toms with the YESS mounts.

Also I think from now on will watch how and when I tighten hardware down. The tom attaches to the tom arm on a hexacon rod, so will take care and tighten on the flat part of the rods and not the corners. I will also take care and not over tighten. I wonder if hardware makers ever take into account how strong drummer's hands are and how over time we can strip out basic pressed chrome stuff.

Anyway just wanted to make updates and let you know how it went. Peace and love.......

• Members

In the meantime, I took off my 13" tom and using my 8",10" and 12" as rack toms with my 16" floor tom.

Just in case anybody was bothered....

Whew! I'm glad you didn't totally stop playing.

WillyRay

I tried the ball clamps once... after a while I had to ask, "Hey, baby? Why can't we just do it like normal people every once in a while?"

That's funny. Now, get back to studying.

• Members

I really like those ball and socket tom arms because they allow me to move my tom a lot more than a regular tom arm would. But I've had that happen a bunch of times, when the screw becomes stripped and the damn thing gave out completly once and damn near punctured my shell. Anywho, I went to my friendly(?) neighborhood GC and bought about 3 replacements so i would'nt have to head out there again. So if you're gonna keep the ball and socket tom arm, I'd recomend preparing for later incidents with this type of thing.

• Members

Oh, and by the way, I had a Toby ring me out and he tried to pitch me some of their throw away cymbals..................the litte bastard. Well, I guess it's still better than the Chuck Levins near me, where all they got there are metal throwbacks in the guitar/amp area that try to sell you a damn guitar by playing it for you and even then they're shredding with heavy distortion, bastards. Oh, and their drum section, don't even get me started..................:mad:

• Members

OIC Rodgers, you're the one who came down to Jax FLA GC and bought the last three there!

When I called there (with natural distortion guitars in background) Toby aka "the Drum tech" said "Yeah we carry 'em, but I'm outta stock, some dude from Emmitsburg just bought my last three yesterday". Man, you could've had two, all I wanted was one! (joking)

Well, I guess one tom arm after five years isn't too bad. I'm also talking about the Original type Yamaha arm. Not the generic copy type. I thought also about getting backups while I was waiting on this one. The new one has a black "Yamaha" band right under the ball assembly. The ones that came with my kit and add on toms don't. So if you ever see a used Yammie, might tell which have been replaced.

The ball clamp system is supposed to be on all Yamaha's so could even happen on higher end sets.

Cymbal stands are still doing super!! High hat is good, better than most, just wish it had better "action".

Not saying all this to drag things out. Just thought I would do a product review in a way so newbies could read and you all would know info about a set you may not have. Hope it helps.

PS Toby said I might need a new set and they we're having their post Labor Day/Fall/ Pre-Halloween cleareance sale and if I got either the DW Collectors/ Yamaha Custom or Abosolute/ Pearl Masters series, Toby said he would throw in a stick bag with GC sticks. Plus for each Sabian HH/sig line or Zild K series cymbals he would include a Royce 12" and throne. Sweeeet!

• Members

The Foot (not to be confused with A Foot) :

I should make that clearer. The arm on my 12" tom broke. I slid it over to where my 13" was and so on with the other toms. So all my rack toms where slid over. But I could've just moved the arm over and kept the toms (-the 13") right where they were. :-) live and learn......

Archived