Inverted cymbals bad idea?

farfignewgon

• Members

If I saw a guy with his cymbals inverted, I would just assume that he was retarded, and probably feel sorry for the guy. Hell, I might even get "inspired" at his ability to play, considering his disability.

Chinas can go either way...rather than saying "upside down" or "right side up" or "inverted", I'm going to go with "bell up" or "bell down" to be clear. Charlie Watts from the Rolling Stones has used a china mounted "bell up" as his primary crash for years. I imagine that the edge of the cymbal chews his sticks a little bit, but I imagine he can afford new sticks. ;)

Most other people prefer to mount chinas "bell down" so taht the edge is pointing away from the sticks. I see absolutely no benefit in mounting any other cymbal (crashes, rides, splashes, etc.) "bell down".

In fact, mounting ANY cymbal "bell down" puts additional stress on the cymbal and increases the liklihood of damage. That's why I like to use cymbal springs on my chinas that I mount "bell down".

Here's the deal: the center of gravity for a cymbal is located somewhere below the hole in the center of the bell. That's why you can put a cymbal "bell up" on your finger, and it will balance itself and remain pretty stable. The center of gravity, in that situation, is low, and that keeps the cymbal upright. If you take the same cymbal, on the other hand, and put it on your finger "bell down", you may be able to balance it there, but as soon as the cymbal moves away from "level" (like if you hit it) the cymbal will fall off your finger. When the cymbal is "bell down", the center of gravity is above the hole, and the cymbal will try to flip over to the "bell up" position in order to bring the center of gravity to it's lowest possible point.

So with this in mind, when you mount ANY cymbal (including chinas that are designed to be mounted this way) in a "bell down" position, the cymbal can'd "balance" on the stand. Instead, the only thing keeping the cymbal from flipping over is the rod at the top of the cymbal stand. So every time you hit the cybmal, you put a tremendous amount of pressure on the cymbal's hole, and the bell in that area. That's why you need to protect that area with a cymbal spring, or a bunch of felt padding. I like the springs, becasuse they have more "give" and do a better job of replicating the "sway" that a "bell up" cymbal experiences when it's hit.

When a cymbal is mounted "bell up", the cymbal is more likely to rock back and forth naturally, and with much less stress on the hole and bell.

I guess this is my long-winded way of telling you that your drummer is a retard. :thu:

• Members

Iburytheliving

Just to clear things up, a china cymbal is meant to be mounted with the bell/edge up...the sound is meant to be directed downward and bounce off the floor in a orchestral setting...bell/edge down is acceptable for set.

where'd ya get that nugget of knowlege?

(catchy name, by the way.)

• Members

quote:

"where'd ya get that nugget of knowlege?

(catchy name, by the way.)"

Got the cymbal info from band back in high school.

Thanks for the props on the name...My bro and I were trying to think of a name for our new band (hardcore) while watching TV late one night. Then this comercial for a DVD of old horror movies came on and the names of each episode were scrolling on the screen. There were so many tough ass names! I Bury The Living jumped out at us...then we realized that we would never kick enough ass or be tough enough to deserve a name like that...you would have to be brutal as hell. Plus, we didnt want to have the typical harcore type name...so we went with Midwest Players Club....too bad it didnt last...

peace,

• Members

joestanman

...would the cymbal actually vibrate differently depending on which side was up? physics wise?

The wave pattern may be minutely different based on the cymbal being inverted, but not so much that you could perceive the difference. The difference that may be heard is due to 2 things; the attack, and the angle of suspension.

The attack is different because the angle of the stick, most likely, would be at a higher angle than usual. The impact of the strike would go into the cymbal differently than if it were right side up.

The angle of suspension, as mentioned earlier in this thread, will have a big effect not only on the sound but also the life-span of the cymbal. The cymbal's hole has a lot more pressure on it, than if the cymbal is resting with it's center of gravity below the hole. Yes, the rod rubs the edge of the hole. Anyway, unless the cymbal bolt is clamped down tight, that thing will spin around andor bounce in an odd way. Thus, if it's moving enough, the spread and tone of the cymbal will modulate.

• Members

Remember that the China style cymbal was developed out of ancient hand cymbals. These instruments are usually smashed together in pairs. Only later (and fairly recently in terms of their existence) did they get mounted on a stand to be hit with something other than another chunk of metal. I think the fact that they balance better, and have a different tone, when mounted a certain way is more of a coincidence.

They are one of my favorite instruments.

Archived