Guitarist asking you drummers about holding your sticks

Mikeo

• Members

Oh Oh Oh Willy Willy! I got another reason!

cross sticking! :D

I've been doing alot of cross sticking stuff, like triplets and paradiddles with the accents on the Floor-Tom. This seems to lend itself to have the trad grip rather than matched.

(at least on my kit) :freak:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play matched grip on all songs live except for one, a jazz/swing style. When I practice it's about a 35/65 split in favor of matched grip. While I doubt I'll ever be fluent in traditional grip, I just recently fell in love with it and really enjoy playing it whenever possible. No real reason to use it, I just like to use it.

+1 on the floor tom accents with traditional, I've done some such patterns and find it easier than matched grip. Hence some extra floor tom hits during that one song where I use traiditional grip in concert. The reason I use it on that song started as I just wanted to best have the full look of the style, now I really like the grip. My matched grip is more Greman grip to somewhat American.

• Members
Originally posted by theFoot

cross sticking!
:D
[...]

This seems to lend itself to have the trad grip rather than matched.

Why, 'cause you just have to turn your leftie over? I can see that. Not sure I'd give that a whole place on my list, though. It's about a quarter or a third of a reason. :thu::D

/w

• Members

Originally posted by armitage787

i was told a while back that if you hold that one stick traditional it only takes like 7 mucles to move as comparted to the 30-something when you play matched, but i dont really know

I heard Dom Famularo in a video mention something like that, but it was reversed. He was saying the trad grip uses more muscles than matched, therefore matched is more efficient.

I find it of little concern, since they are small muscles.

• Members

Originally posted by armitage787

i was told a while back that if you hold that one stick traditional it only takes like 7 mucles to move as comparted to the 30-something when you play matched, but i dont really know

Many proponents of traditional drumming seem to feel the less effort expended the better. Modern drummer/percussionists are proving that the more concerted effort you can apply, the more stick control, the better you play.

• Members

As sumone else stated, I was 'forced' to use the trad. method in school....then, after many years away from the drums, my return to the drums, was behind a kit...now i only play matched grip...i can play some mean snare rolls, with traditional, but was never as smooth, rolling across the toms for fills....it's matched for me

• Members

I heard Dom Famularo in a video mention something like that, but it was reversed. He was saying the trad grip uses more muscles than matched, therefore matched is more efficient.

I find it of little concern, since they are small muscles.

Dom is the man. I've chatted with a guy that studied under him. He had nothing but good to say about him.

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

What's the value you see in it, Rock?

/w

I think theFoot hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the history of the grip. When I pursue a new thing (drums or whatever) I like to immerse myself in it as much as possible (hence my constant posting in this forum despite my avatar name). The traditional grip just has that special something to it that looks and feels different. Plus, I'm a showman when I perform, so if I'm playing a jazz song or hopelessly flailing away at a Buddy Rich beat attempt, I like to be as authentic to the song as possible.

theFoot: I prefer the pinkie surprise or bowling ball to the cameltoe grip.

• Members

Originally posted by backtodrum

I play matched grip exclusively except for brush work. I have to play them occasionally. For brushes it seem more comfortable to play traditional grip for some reason.

Actually, with brushes, generally the reason that they're played traditional is because the lower angle of the left hand makes it easier to get more of the brush onto the surface of the head.

/w

• Members

The truth is, tradition grip takes more time to develop It takes time to learn how to generate power, how to move your fingers and wrists, so is not to hurt yourself. I think a lot of younger players get discouraged with learning how to play traditional grip. It's uncomfortable in the beginning and it's hard as hell to get the stick to do what you want it to do. It's more natural to hold the sticks matched. I mean, if you hand a 4 year old a pair of drumsticks, they are not just going to hold them in a traditional grip manner. They will hold them the same way in both hands. Traditional grip is awkward when starting off learning it. Ah, but it's worth it!! With all that said, I play traditional 95% of the time.

I think "Double stroke -oriented" players like traditional grip. It's a lot easier doing a double stroke roll using trad IMO. Same with breaking up doubles all over the kit. Jazz, swing and shuffle beats/fills are easier to get a light touch w/ghost notes using trad IMO. Why? I don't know. I think Steve Smith said something about with match grip, the hand and arm are on top of the stick, with gravity weighing down on top of the stick giving it a "heavier" feel. Trad the hand is underneath, easier to execute a lighter touch. For power, it's a snap of the wrist. For that Stewart Copeland MEGO-POWER, lift up your arm a little more than normal, and use a whipping motion, like shaking off bearing grease off your hand. Personally, I can get plenty of power with trad grip. My guitar play says my snare hits sound like a frappin' shotgun going off....Pissing off guitar player = it's working!!

Like a lot of you said already, listen to any recording, you can't tell want grip a drummer is using. What you sound like and the music you are making is most important HANDS DOWN. It doesnt matter what grip you play at all. One is not better than the other. To answer the initial question, when learning how to play drums in the beginning, learn match grip. As time goes on and you want to get deeper into the instrument and you start experimenting to get into you own thing, then explore traditional grip. See what works for you.

Sorry for the long winded response...if you are still reading......good luck!!

• Members

Originally posted by vinniewannabe

...with match grip, the hand and arm are on top of the stick, with gravity weighing down on top of the stick giving it a "heavier" feel...

Remember, French grip takes the hand and arm off of the top of the stick, thus it's the "light-touch" matched grip.

I'd say when my hand is on the ride I'm using Frech grip 80% of the time. You may be too, check it out.

Funny, I can't recall the last time I used the pinkie-suprise.

• Members
Originally posted by WillyRay

Actually, with brushes, generally the reason that they're played traditional is because the lower angle of the left hand makes it easier to get more of the brush onto the surface of the head.

/w

I VASTLY prefer matched grip. For brush work, though, I'm right there with traditional for the exact reason Willy Ray stated - more of the brush on the head, and it kinda keeps your hand out of the way. Sometimes you want that muted snare slap, and I do that by striking the right brush on top of the left one.

Visually, gotta agree with everyone - traditional just looks cooler.

When it comes to power, though... and I'll get flack, but I'll maintain that you'll get more power out of matched than traditional. Not too many metal guys playing traditional!
:D

Interesting note: Neil Peart switched to traditional grip for "Test for Echo" after studying with Freddie Gruber... and eventually switched back to matched.

• Members

I'm left handed.
I play left-hand lead most of the time.

When I was in school, studying the percussions, the legit snare drum literature often had stick markings underneath. Right hand lead. ugh.

I trained my mind to think 'right hand lead' when I used traditional grip. eventually it worked like a charm. still does when I want to play my (lefty) kit open handed.

I discourage my students from using traditional grip.

• Members

Remember, French grip takes the hand and arm off of the top of the stick, thus it's the "light-touch" matched grip.

I'd say when my hand is on the ride I'm using Frech grip 80% of the time. You may be too, check it out.

Funny, I can't recall the last time I used the pinkie-suprise.

Right, there are different ways to grip with match....French, German etc. I didnt specify which of those grips had the "heavier" feel..but yeah, you are right, the french grip would have a lighter feel.

I would use the french grip method with the right hand if I were playing something swingy and fast, maybe even a fast 8th note pattern. Otherwise, I play with my hand on top for bell stuff and everything else. Hihat stuff I don't use french grip.

Remember, how I play is good for me, everybody plays different. I don't believe that there is one "right" way to play or hold the sticks. Everybody's physical body is different. With that said, I believe there ways to play more effectivley and efficiently, that help you play more smoothly with less effort. These are the things we have to explore and research....it's something I try to do. I don't want to always think about and concentrate on my poor technique when trying to execute something in my head...I just want to DO it....the goal is the music or expression and not having technique limitations to stop you from doing it. I got a long way to go.....but anyways.....

Archived